Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:16 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Australian Vodafone Store Evacuated After Demo iPad 'Explosion'

A Vodafone retail store in Canberra, Australia was reportedly evacuated earlier this week after an in-store demo iPad "exploded", filling the location with smoke and sparks, reports News.com.au. While no one was harmed during the incident, the iPad reportedly emitted the sparks from its charging port as firefighters were called to the scene to handle the situation. An Apple representative reportedly visited the scene afterwards to investigate the explosion, but Apple has not commented on the incident.

Interestingly, the report originally stated that the device was an iPad Air, but the article has since been revised to simply refer to it as an "iPad" and the device shown in the photo accompanying the article does not appear to have the narrower side bezels seen on the new iPad Air.

This is not the first time this year that an Apple product was accused of being a safety hazard, as a woman in China suffered eye injuries from her iPhone 5 after it exploded while she was on the phone this past August. Additionally, a Chinese man was left in a coma after receiving an electric shock while charging his iPhone 4 in July, which followed the death of a Chinese woman under similar circumstances.

Both latter incidents apparently involved the use of unauthorized third-party adapters, with Apple responding to the events by establishing an international third-party USB charger "Takeback Program" offering official replacement chargers for $10 to anyone who turns in a suspect adapter.

Apple began selling the iPad Air last Friday in over thirty countries through its official online store and at various other outlets.

Article Link: Australian Vodafone Store Evacuated After Demo iPad 'Explosion'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
troop231
macrumors 601

Knock-off chargers need to be banished
troop231 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Thanks to the help of eyewitnesses who were shopping at the Vodafone Store when the iPad shot sparks out of the Lightning port, it was possible to accurately recreate the occurred events:
Thumb resize.
Giuly is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:24 AM   #4
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

Could the store have perhaps been using fake chargers on the demo stand? On the BBC program fake Britain i've seen it loads of times of fake power adaptors and batteries being responsible for house fires etc.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
jlluna
macrumors 6502

That's scary! I usually charge my ipad overnight.
jlluna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:37 AM   #6
dannyyankou
macrumors 65816

You only hear about an Apple product exploding like twice every year. They sold about 50 million iPads in 2013. So you have a better chance of being struck by lightning twice.
dannyyankou is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:45 AM   #7
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
You only hear about an Apple product exploding like twice every year. They sold about 50 million iPads in 2013. So you have a better chance of being struck by lightning twice.
What's strange is that this happened in a store, so quite possible that someone intentionally damaged the device. For example, putting screws through the battery is known to be a bad idea.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:45 AM   #8
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Knock-off chargers need to be banished
I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple began selling the iPad Air last Friday in over thirty countries through its official online store and at various other outlets.
Nice to see the usual product advertising in news stories. [/sarcasm]
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Alundra
macrumors regular

Im afraid of buying an ipad air now lol
Alundra is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:48 AM   #10
techmanmac
macrumors newbie

stupid

People are generally stupid.

There is more to this story. People use the wrong chargers, get their devices wet, drop them, light them on fire, and so on and blame companies for them not working or exploding.

I work for Samsung and people complain about their phones not working. 99 percent of the time they dont work cause someone did something stupid. I miss the days when common sense was common.

People read things on the net and freak out. Dont believe everything you read on the net.
techmanmac is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:48 AM   #11
TheRealPdiddy
macrumors newbie

I wouldn't be surprised to learn of it being a case of sabotage sponsored by Samsung.
TheRealPdiddy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:50 AM   #12
dannyyankou
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
What's strange is that this happened in a store, so quite possible that someone intentionally damaged the device. For example, putting screws through the battery is known to be a bad idea.
Right, these devices don't just explode on their own. I'm guessing the store used 3rd party chargers.
dannyyankou is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:52 AM   #13
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmanmac View Post
People are generally stupid. I miss the days when common sense was common.
+1 totally with you on that one honey

"Of all the things I've lost; I miss my mind the most."
costabunny is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:52 AM   #14
I8P'CS
macrumors 6502

More free publicity for the NEW iPad Air, This Apple won't crumble because of this story.
I8P'CS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:03 AM   #15
Return Zero
macrumors newbie

"Security camera footage shows the last customer who used the iPad setting it down and walking away just moments before the explosion. That man was later identified as U.S. citizen Ethan Hunt."
Return Zero is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:07 AM   #16
iThinkIt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Struck twice like this guy....

iThinkIt is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:10 AM   #17
kingalien
macrumors regular

Limited edition Hindenburg model.
kingalien is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:11 AM   #18
staveb
macrumors member

I thought the iPad Air was hot but this is ridiculous!
staveb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:22 AM   #19
ppenn
macrumors member

Keep in mind all of these explosions happen in Asia where people decide it's better to buy a cheap knock off non-regulated charger...
ppenn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Teste
macrumors regular

Well, looks like the iPad Fire is not yet ready for the Mass market.
Teste is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:30 AM   #21
aristotle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return Zero View Post
"Security camera footage shows the last customer who used the iPad setting it down and walking away just moments before the explosion. That man was later identified as U.S. citizen Ethan Hunt."
I came here for an IMF reference and I was not disappointed.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:34 AM   #22
Sportcat
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Sportcat
Will this qualify for the $200 Target Buy Back program?
Sportcat is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:47 AM   #23
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Whenever I hear about a battery explosion, I think of Walter White:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3JIC_yPRt0

Last edited by BornAgainApple; Nov 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
BornAgainApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:55 AM   #24
burnside
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah, but everybody knows lightening is dangerous and to stay away. I'm pretty sure iPads are made to be used, not to stay away from.
burnside is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:56 AM   #25
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
VERY true ....

But it's ALSO true that these high energy storage battery packs do hold enough of a charge so they can explode and/or catch fire if they suffer from some massive internal failure.

Knock-off chargers pose a risk because they may send too much voltage or current through the batteries, causing them to overheat or break down inside. But with millions and millions of the batteries sold, it's pretty much to be expected that somewhere out there, at least 1 or 2 will explode on their own eventually.

It's happened for decades now with laptop computers and other devices. Only reason you didn't see this with traditional batteries is that they couldn't store enough energy to fail so explosively. (Anyone remember taking old batteries out of flashlights or toys and finding them corroded and leaking battery acid though? Same kind of thing.... They failed internally too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmanmac View Post
People are generally stupid.

There is more to this story. People use the wrong chargers, get their devices wet, drop them, light them on fire, and so on and blame companies for them not working or exploding.

I work for Samsung and people complain about their phones not working. 99 percent of the time they dont work cause someone did something stupid. I miss the days when common sense was common.

People read things on the net and freak out. Dont believe everything you read on the net.
kingtj is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion