Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
If we buy a rMBP from a vendor like Macmall, and it has some kind of defect within the 14 days, like a yellow screen, etc., would we be able to exchange it at an Apple store?

Last edited:

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
If we buy a rMBP from a vendor like Macmall, and it has some kind of defect within the 14 days, like a yellow screen, etc., would we be able to exchange it at an Apple store?

EDIT: Sorry guys,....I'm half asleep, and I meant to start a new thread!

No. Apple store exchanges will only happen if you purchase it through the apple store. If you want to exchange it, you have to go through the company you purchased it from, even though they might be an authorized apple retailer.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
No. Apple store exchanges will only happen if you purchase it through the apple store. If you want to exchange it, you have to go through the company you purchased it from, even though they might be an authorized apple retailer.

Macmall indicates that the MBP would fall under Apple's warranty, so if I have a defective unit, what are my options?

pat.micunnis

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
Macmall indicates that the MBP would fall under Apple's warranty, so if I have a defective unit, what are my options?
Did you call Macmall customer service directly to ask your questions? Looking at Macmall's return policy on their website, it seems a bit sketchy -- it looks like you'll have to go through the Apple warranty process.

This is why I prefer to buy from Apple directly.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois

You give it to Apple and they repair it, giving you the same unit back only repaired. Could take days to get it back, it would be a warranty repair whereas what you're wanting to do is take it back to a store where you didn't buy it and exchange it.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
i bought my macbook at some colege store and i coudlnt return it at apple. was stuck with it until sold on craiglist. so yes u can get it fixed for issues but not return or exchanged. only way they give new one is proof of uncraftsmanship.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Buy from Amazon, no tax in most states and 30 day return window! Usually they are close to cheapest and if you are a prime member free shipping.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Did you call Macmall customer service directly to ask your questions? Looking at Macmall's return policy on their website, it seems a bit sketchy -- it looks like you'll have to go through the Apple warranty process.

This is why I prefer to buy from Apple directly.

Yes, I spoke to customer service. After posting this I called back and was told they have a 14 day policy also; if the unit is defective they will send me a replacement and pay return postage. They are reputable, so I don't anticipate any issues.

Amazon now charges taxes in NJ!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.