Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #1
tunerX
macrumors 6502

Mavericks SMB problem

For me SMB2 can be used to mount shared drives and start copy operations but will fail about 99 percent of the way through saying the file is in use.

I have read problems that SMB2 fails to mount some network shares. My shares mount but copy/move/rename/delete operations fail.

Switching to SMB1 allows me to complete all functions.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 01:09 PM   #2
nzalog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerX View Post
For me SMB2 can be used to mount shared drives and start copy operations but will fail about 99 percent of the way through saying the file is in use.

I have read problems that SMB2 fails to mount some network shares. My shares mount but copy/move/rename/delete operations fail.

Switching to SMB1 allows me to complete all functions.
Think it's a known issue, not sure what you mean by switch to smb1 (server side?) but to switch to smb1 on client side just use 'cifs://' instead of 'smb://' .
nzalog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 01:38 PM   #3
tunerX
macrumors 6502

switching to SMB1 would mean client side as protocol version request is initiated by the client.

On the server side I would copy/move/rename/delete through the local filesystem.

I had to keep digging in the forum to find the known workaround with using cifs: instead of smb: I normally just use the finder sidebar since all of my shares show up there and you do not get to specify a version.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerX View Post
I normally just use the finder sidebar since all of my shares show up there and you do not get to specify a version.
By default it'll be SMB2, I think, with Mavericks.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Pagemakers
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzalog View Post
Think it's a known issue, not sure what you mean by switch to smb1 (server side?) but to switch to smb1 on client side just use 'cifs://' instead of 'smb://' .
My time machine backs up to a shared drive connected to another mac.

Since mavericks! I am having all kinds of connection problems.

If I substitute cifs instead of smb I get an error saying "the server may not exist or is unavailable at this time..." If I connect using smb, it's fine until the machine sleeps, then it doesn't auto-reconnect after wake and the time machine backup fails again.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)