Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Blizzard's annual Blizzcon conference kicked off today and during the event's opening ceremony (via TouchArcade), the company announced that its free-to-play battle card game Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft will be released during the second half of 2014.

First announced for the Mac, PC, and iPad back in March, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft will also be available on the iPhone when it is released. The collectible card game, which will be free-to-play, is set in the Warcraft universe.

hearthstone.jpg
Sheathe your sword, draw your deck, and get ready for Hearthstone - the fast paced strategy card game that's easy to learn and massively fun. Start a free game on Battle.net and play your cards to sling spells, summon creatures, and command the heroes of Warcraft in duels of epic strategy.
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft recently entered a beta testing phase, with select individuals receiving access to the Mac and PC versions of the game.

Blizzard also announced that Warlords of Draenor will be the next expansion to its massively multiplayer online role-playing game World of Warcraft.

Article Link: 'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' iOS App Coming in Second Half of 2014

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Playing beta on mac, would love to see this on the iPad. Really fun game and doesn't take up as much time as WoW did.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The iPad app is already in internal beta and will come this year.

It's the iPhone app, that will come in 2014.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009

Really? Missed that. For all the detail in the game and details in the cards, I can't imagine how that would look on an iPhone. But cool.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Another WoW expansion? Damn, I remember playing that game back in 2005. Can't believe it's still going strong.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
thats one petty excuse of a game to be honest ive played the beta and this game is the worst IAP game ever.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am sure Heartstone is a nice game in its right and all, but bring on real time strategy titles.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Nonsense. One of the fastest playing card games I've ever played, and I've played quite a few.

That's good to hear. I have played loads of PC card games but none of them had the fun touch of the physical card game Magic. As such I never played one for more than a little bit. I hope that this one is different.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
where did u get ur key?

Sign up for beta testing on us.battle.net and not sure how long it takes, but they eventually send you an "invite" with a key that attaches the beta to your bn account.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Another WoW expansion? Damn, I remember playing that game back in 2005. Can't believe it's still going strong.

I don't think it is... I only played a trial for a short while years ago and since then everyone I know who was playing has since stopped.

Edit: Just looked at the numbers. In 2010 they hit their high of 12M players. As of yesterday, they have 7.6M players.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
OMG, that looks great. Thanks, I'll check it out.

I have no idea if there are any In App Payments, but I've seen a load of Chinese colleagues in the office who are addicted to it. When it released, that had a fair bit of server troubles, but its been a while so I'd hope its sorted now. I know its not Warcraft, but its based on some Chinese cartoon that's basically a direct rip off of Warcraft!

Last edited:

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I have no idea if there are any In App Payments, but I've seen a load of Chinese colleagues in the office who are addicted to it. When it released, that had a fair bit of server troubles, but its been a while so I'd hope its sorted now. I know its not Warcraft, but its based on some Chinese cartoon that's basically a direct rip off of Warcraft!

Well, Hearthstone is definitely going to have in-game app purchases. You have to buy cards, but the gold you get in the game is ridiculous. It's easier to just use real money and get the rare cards that are needed to win anything.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I feel like there are already 100s of strat card games like this. I wish they would just port the real wow already.

I remember at one time (few years ago) a company had a client running on iPad and then blizzard bought them out and it was never heard about again...

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

This is correct. But that 2nd half of 2014 is a rough guideline and not in concrete. it could be a little later possibly. Everyone who knows Blizzard, knows their dates are always subject to change.

----------

Do you have a source on this? I only ask because I'm frothing at the mouth for it.

Yes. Blizzard said themselves at Blizzcon. I saw it personally via the stream on the hearthstone keynote with the virtual ticket.

Also soon the open beta will happen for HS. So then everyone can play it.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Yes. Blizzard said themselves at Blizzcon. I saw it personally via the stream on the hearthstone keynote with the virtual ticket.

Also soon the open beta will happen for HS. So then everyone can play it.

Beta is already open.

----------

I feel like there are already 100s of strat card games like this. I wish they would just port the real wow already.

I remember at one time (few years ago) a company had a client running on iPad and then blizzard bought them out and it was never heard about again...

Wow is a bit too complicated to play on a mobile device. Wow is about speed and precision in doing things quickly and accurately. Try healing a group while rooting and kiting at the same time. It works on the pc because you have 10-15 keys all mapped to do things instantly, I can't imagine tapping for any of those. Just my IPO. Maybe if they slowed down the game and forced everyone to play a mobile device then it'd be fair. Otherwise the desktop people automatically win before you even use a gesture to even turn out.

diogolg

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
thats one petty excuse of a game to be honest ive played the beta and this game is the worst IAP game ever.

The IAP is not that bad. Things can get pretty expensive but how the cards are random you can open a package and get better cards from someone who baught the package.

I believe that the game has a lot of potential it's the first card game that it's well built it has a lot of possibilities

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Beta is already open.

----------

Wow is a bit too complicated to play on a mobile device. Wow is about speed and precision in doing things quickly and accurately. Try healing a group while rooting and kiting at the same time. It works on the pc because you have 10-15 keys all mapped to do things instantly, I can't imagine tapping for any of those. Just my IPO. Maybe if they slowed down the game and forced everyone to play a mobile device then it'd be fair. Otherwise the desktop people automatically win before you even use a gesture to even turn out.

You could still get certain things done like questing and whatnot. Order and choas works fine on mobile devices (even iPhones). Yes you would be at a disadvantage on a tablet or phone but casual players would be just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.