Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradk11098

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
If this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize. I'm kind of desperate.

I use Outlook 2011 for Mac. Yesterday morning, when I sat down at my computer, I got a "need to rebuild database" alert. This has happened 3 other times in 18 months so I didn't think too much of it. My outlook file is about 31 gigs and it took quite a while to rebuild. When the rebuild was finished, I opened outlook and everything was gone-- all my folders, emails, etc.

I called Apple because I have customer care. They sent me to Microsoft which was worthless; their attitude was downright flippant. I advised Microsoft that I have Time Machine. They said it 'could' work if I restored from an earlier point.

I went back two weeks, restored the identity and am now waiting for it to get past Step 3 of 5 (Copying records to new database). This will likely take hours.

At any rate, when I look on the "all my files" window, I can see my emails immediately prior to the event. They appear to be residing on my hard drive independent of the database.

Question: is there any other third party program that can read the individual emails? Does anybody have any suggestions about what to do other than the Time Machine restore and re-processing the identity?

Again, sorry if this in the wrong place. I need help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.