Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agraham43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I have my TrendNet TEW-812DRU set-up and accessing the internet fine - except I can't see the other Macs that are connected to it or print to the printer that is hung off the usb port of one of the macs on the network.

Can anyone tell me what I have to do in order to print to / connect with the mac and the printer through this router?

Thanks.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Assuming tou've enabled (file/screen/printer etc) sharing onserving Macs and services still remain non-discoverable, check if multicast packets to mDNS group address are passed by your Trendnet
Each query or advertisement is sent to the Bonjour multicast address for delivery to all clients on the subnet. Apple’s Bonjour protocol relies on Multicast DNS (mDNS) operating at UDP port 5353 and sends to these reserved group addresses:

IPv4 Group Address - 224.0.0.251
IPv6 Group Address - FF02::FB

The addresses used by the Bonjour protocol are link-local multicast addresses and thus are only forwarded on the local L2 domain. Routers cannot use multicast routing to redirect the traffic because the time to live (TTL) is set to one, and link-local multicast is meant to stay local by design.
You can read more eg here
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17399511

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.