Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

how many of you decided to just accept and keep IR?

• Total voters

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
just looking to see how many decided on just accepting their new macbook with image retention issues. if so.. any signs that you've noticed of it getting worse?

for those that decided to exchange.. how many did you go through before getting one without any IR at all? if so.. were there any other issues that you accepted?

cbben

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
My 15" 2012 seems to have it in a very minor way. If this is what everyone is complaining about, everyone is crazy-- I have to look really hard to see it. Probably would not have noticed it if I didnt read these forums!

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
My 15" 2012 seems to have it in a very minor way. If this is what everyone is complaining about, everyone is crazy-- I have to look really hard to see it. Probably would not have noticed it if I didnt read these forums!

i guess it depends on the level of it.. i've had to exchange one where i wasn't even look for it when i noticed it. images remained on screen for a bit.. this wasn't a 5 seconds fade.. it was considerably noticeable.

I've got it a bit on my Samsung panel after a year. Couldn't care less. Life's too short to make that many trips to the Genius bar.

do you notice it getting worse? do you do photo editing or anything of the sort?

rudy44

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
seems like having IR is now considered 'within specification'

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
seems like having IR is now considered 'within specification'

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455

that's pretty ridiculous..

anyway.. i ended up exchanging it.. no way was i going to accept that for a "premium" product. long story short.. apple gave me a good discount on the higher spec 13" (2.6/512gb), and on top of that.. an additional $150 worth of free stuff. not gonna jinx myself by saying this one is perfect now.. but so far i'm real happy with it. :)

thank you to apple customer service for making things right with me.

Collider

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
I really wanted to be able to do that when the IR started showing up on my rMBP -- it was noticeable and vaguely annoying, but not exactly disruptive, so I kind of just let it go for a couple of months or so with the intention of living with it. I'd seen a lot of posts about it and I kind of thought "well, if this is it, it's not worth the hassle". But then it just got progressively worse, and after a while it was just too bad and too disruptive to ignore.

So yea, in theory, if it had stayed at its original level, I would've just accepted it. But in the end, it just deteriorated too far and kind of forced my hand.

salmankhan

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
I have been living with IR since last year. As no apple store is near where i live nowadays so had to just humbly accept this IR.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Not really. I think IR is more or less present in all units. It is a feature of the technique - not a manufacturing defect etc.

when quite a number of people reporting that this issue got progressively worse (just look at the post above yours.. and in so many other threads here and in the apple discussion board).. how exactly is this a feature and not a defect? it seems like there are also panels out there that are fine.. and it also seems that this is mostly happening with apple products.. i'm not sure if other users of other laptop brands are voicing much about theirs.

GreyMatta

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2007
England
My rMBP 2012 went in for a clicky trackpad issue I mentioned the IR that I had on my LG screen and they replaced it at the same time with a LG rev 2. Looks great so far and I'm glad I mentioned it to them

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Why would anyone accept paying this much money for a computer that has a bad or affected screen? Out of all the laptop I have owned in my life I have NEVER had a single issue and they all lasted me at least 4 years...... why would I accept it? Because its Apple? haha give me a break...you pay for the best you only accept the best.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Why would anyone accept paying this much money for a computer that has a bad or affected screen? Out of all the laptop I have owned in my life I have NEVER had a single issue and they all lasted me at least 4 years...... why would I accept it? Because its Apple? haha give me a break...you pay for the best you only accept the best.

i kept giving them a chance because of my past excellent experiences with my previous macbooks. believe me though.. i was real close to getting a windows laptop instead. i looked into the asus ux301 as a possible alternative.

Paapaa

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013

If IR is a big issue, then pick a model that doesn't use Retina, or Windows PC. As simple as that. I don't spend hours looking at checkered patterns with my computer so IR is not a problem for me ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.