Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I have a 13" late 2013 rMBP running Mavericks. When I'm on battery I've set the display to turn off after 2 minutes for obvious power saving reasons. But it also disables Wifi and I can't tell if it sleeps or if it's just the display, since it's completely quiet all the time and it wakes instantly (tough problems, i know :D).

Is it supposed to be this way? Does it actually sleep or does it just disable wifi and either way, is it a way to prevent this? Because even on battery I still want to be alerted by Skype and continue using torrent-programs.

Thanks in advance!

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I noticed this too only when it sleeps on battery. wifi it is fine.

Last edited:

lg251

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Also had this issue and noticed it the past 2-3 days. Thought I was crazy, but my downloads would not complete much when I left the computer sit for a while even though the signal was still strong the whole time...

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
same here. it is really annoying. I'm going to try and phone applecare and get them to send me a free ethernet to thunderbolt adaptor. this disabling of wifi is really annoying.

lg251

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
same here. it is really annoying. I'm going to try and phone applecare and get them to send me a free ethernet to thunderbolt adaptor. this disabling of wifi is really annoying.

I wish my router was closer to where I use my laptop. I'll probably give them a call like you though!

Anyone else have this issue/solution?

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I wish my router was closer to where I use my laptop. I'll probably give them a call like you though!

Anyone else have this issue/solution?

It seems like several people have the same problem but no solution...

MAJOR LAZER

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
Kingston, Jamaica
Try this!

Attachments

• oppDn.png
    oppDn.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 2,946

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
I have a 13" late 2013 rMBP running Mavericks. When I'm on battery I've set the display to turn off after 2 minutes for obvious power saving reasons. But it also disables Wifi and I can't tell if it sleeps or if it's just the display, since it's completely quiet all the time and it wakes instantly (tough problems, i know :D).

Is it supposed to be this way? Does it actually sleep or does it just disable wifi and either way, is it a way to prevent this? Because even on battery I still want to be alerted by Skype and continue using torrent-programs.

Thanks in advance!

hmm this post may have just put me off buying!!!

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
There shouldn't have to be a third-party-solution to this. I think it should be available in the settings but obviously it's not.

CC117

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Is this happening on everyone's or just a few? Because it seems like an issue.

It was happening on mine before I returned it (not for any problems, jus changing the model). My new one should be here tomorrow and I'm worried it will occur on this one too.

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I was listening to Spotify while cooking and after a while I realised that the screen had been off for some minutes but the music was still playing. When I "woke" it, the Wifi-bar was still full (otherwise, for me, it's empty but fills on wake) and when I logged my torrent application was at full download speed which makes me think it's more of a bug than feature.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
When I "woke" it, the Wifi-bar was still full (otherwise, for me, it's empty but fills on wake) and when I logged my torrent application was at full download speed which makes me think it's more of a bug than feature.
Isn't it normal to keep wifi awake if you're actively using it and to power it down, when it's idle? Disregarding the screen state. I believe it's been the same on iPhones since day one.

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Isn't it normal to keep wifi awake if you're actively using it and to power it down, when it's idle? Disregarding the screen state. I believe it's been the same on iPhones since day one.

Yes, but then I want my torrent application to continue downloading. The thing is, if you read my first post in this thread, is that wifi disables when the screen turns off (or if the whole MacBook sleeps then?).

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Yes, but then I want my torrent application to continue downloading. The thing is, if you read my first post in this thread, is that wifi disables when the screen turns off (or if the whole MacBook sleeps then?).
My 15" doesn't seem to suffer from this. I've tried it with AirPlay and Toasting an image stored on network share. In both cases it also works when screen goes to sleep.

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
My 15" doesn't seem to suffer from this. I've tried it with AirPlay and Toasting an image stored on network share. In both cases it also works when screen goes to sleep.

So you agree that it's probably a bug rather than a feature? Next week I'm going to the Apple-store in my city to solve this.

WheelieMan711

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I am having similar issues with my MacBook Pro. It's a late 2013 15" rMBP. Every time I wake it up from sleep I have an Outlook error message telling me that it was unable to send or receive mail and it asks me if I would like to reenter my password. Since my Wi-Fi disconnects during sleep, I get this error message.

This is a very strange issue. I hope it is resolved when 10.9.1 is released.

lg251

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Canada

Airplay is causing problems for me when I pause for too long :

Streaming TV shows on Apple TV, pause the show and go make myself a coffee : when I come back the Apple TV went to "sleep" and the (late '13) rMBP shut down or rebooted...

I even got a full black screen with a red line in the middle (vertically) and had to manual reboot...scared the bejesus out of me!

I hope Apple fix this! At least for the airplay crash the few times it shut down itself I had a Send Report!

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
I have noticed similar behavior when using Citrix Receiver, which is a remote desktop application. When the laptop runs on battery power and screen shuts down, it takes down also network connections and the Citrix connection is interrupted. This forces me to laborous login with two-way authentication and starting the apps once again.

The only solution I have found is to adjust the "display off" timer to something like 15-30 minutes so that small breaks in my work day don't cause the connections to drop.

I think there shoud be separate "display off" and "sleep computer" inactivity delays, or at least a checkbox to "Prevent computer from sleeping when the display is off" for battery power also.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I want to use power nap on battery and cannot due to this bug. Its fine when plugged in. I can get email and see where it is with findmyphone. When on battery the wifi completely sleeps so these features do not work even with power nap selected on battery. Its obviously software bug. At least it does connect within a second or to when I wake it up on battery. Hope they fix it soon.

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I want to use power nap on battery and cannot due to this bug. Its fine when plugged in. I can get email and see where it is with findmyphone. When on battery the wifi completely sleeps so these features do not work even with power nap selected on battery. Its obviously software bug. At least it does connect within a second or to when I wake it up on battery. Hope they fix it soon.

I hadn't even thought of that but you're completely right! I too really hope they fix it soon.

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I noticed another problem men playing around with Find my Mac. Since the "Wake for wireless network" option doesn't exist on battery, it makes Find my Mac useless...

Damnre

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
I'm having the same problem, annoying is the word!
I checked prevent computer from sleep when display tis off.
Works but for how long..hope they fix this!

Reactions: askPrins
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.