Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPACEDOGB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro. About 3 months ago I went to have some software installed on it and the RAM increased (Yes, I know i should and could have done it myself). During this time the individual working on my MBP was arrested and went to jail for stolen computers. I was finally able to recover my laptop, and it is no longer functioning. It appears that the RAM, battery, and HHD have been taken. I am also missing all the screws along the side and bottom of the laptop. I am trying to test the system and see if it is still salvagable, and I have a few questions.
1) Will I still be able to power up the laptop without any ram or HDD inside?
2) Anyone have a schematic to help me indentify the missing screws?
3) Does anyone have screws, RAM cover, or battery they want to get rid of?

I don't have the extra money for a new computer with the holidays coming up so I'm just trying to put what I have back together.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
If you plug the computer in and try to boot it up, it should beep (I forgot the exact way) to signify the missing RAM. You can try iFixit, they will show all what's need in terms of screws. They may even have spare parts such as RAM doors for sale.

As far as I can remember, there are 10 identical screws around the laptop, and are pretty short. There are 4 screws of the same width but a lot longer and with a pointed tip on the bottom back. There are 3 (or 4 for the 17") that may or may not be different to the ones around the computer, on the bottom holding the RAM door. under that there are a few T6 screws that are long. Also, behind the latch button and near the trackpad, inside where the battery would go are 2 screws. These are like the ones around the computer, but have a wider head.

Hope this helps.

SPACEDOGB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Okay I have tried to plug it in and I am still getting no where with the laptop. It does absolutely nothing. I ordered a new battery and I also put ram in from an old ibook that I had. Can someone please tell me what my next avenue would be in restoring this laptop to functioning?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Okay I have tried to plug it in and I am still getting no where with the laptop. It does absolutely nothing. I ordered a new battery and I also put ram in from an old ibook that I had. Can someone please tell me what my next avenue would be in restoring this laptop to functioning?

RAM from an iBook is incompatible.

When you plug it in, does the charger light up green?

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area

As stated above, you'll probably need new RAM and also need a new HDD (or preferably an SSD) to put in there. If you made a Time Machine backup before sending it in to get upgraded, you should be able to restore it to the way it was before this all happened. I'm a bit fuzzy on the exact process, but I think you'll need the OS X install disc that came with your MacBook to either restore via Time Machine or setup as new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.