Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No, not a contest. :p Just me trying to identify this shrub that started about 9" tall in a pot and after planted, grew to about 12'. We trimmed it up like a tree, with a single stalk from which everything else branches out. It's got blueish-purple flowers that hang on long strands giving it a weepy look. Amazingly it seems to bloom for most the year including the Winter (mild winter last year).

We live in zone 9 (East Central Texas). Ideas? Thanks!

Distant:
MysteryShrub.jpg

Closeup:
MysteryShrub2.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That things huge man. I had one in a hanging pot once. Nowhere near that big.

This plant gets up to 15-20' as I recall. But as you might know, plants in pots are limited in size based on pot size. Did the one you have have a weeping look?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm not a huge fan of East Texas climate, but I must admit it has some beautiful plant life. :)

Possibly interesting ours died back to the grown last winter with 2 hard freezes. But they are growing back. Naturally a shrub of the verbena family, we pruned it into a pseudo tree. It's native to Mexico, South America, and the Carrabean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.