Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 9, 2013, 06:02 PM   #1
OverpricedJunk
macrumors newbie

Why is Safari so slow?

It seems like no matter what mac I use, whether it be at my house or the apple store, Safari seems to be pretty slow at loading webpages. At the applestore, when I go to a webpage for the first time, the loading bar seems to stall for a second or two and then finally loads. The stall is less present if the page has been loaded before within the same browsing session.

Any reason or fix behind this? I really want to use Safari for the improved battery performance but don't want to make any performance sacrifices.
OverpricedJunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Corrosive vinyl
macrumors 6502

um.... cool name bro?

it is getting faster. What would really make it better is an update to WebKit (that Chrome, etc. use also). In time there should be a 7.0.1 update to Safari and people here seem to think the updates make safari snappier

I have been using safari as my only browser for years and think that 1-2 second slow down isn't worth switching to anything else. There are so many updates in 7 (auto-flash blocking a major one) that make it competitive with all the major players now instead of being a mid-pack champ.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Jedi Master
macrumors regular

Slow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverpricedJunk View Post
It seems like no matter what mac I use, whether it be at my house or the apple store, Safari seems to be pretty slow at loading webpages. At the applestore, when I go to a webpage for the first time, the loading bar seems to stall for a second or two and then finally loads. The stall is less present if the page has been loaded before within the same browsing session.

Any reason or fix behind this? I really want to use Safari for the improved battery performance but don't want to make any performance sacrifices.
Slow really come on.
Jedi Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:22 PM   #4
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Safari in Mavericks is slow.

Up until the latest version I would have agreed that in general every release has seen an improvement. However it is now substantially slower than Chrome or FireFox.

It's doesn't make it unusable but to claim it is now a front runner is a little over the top.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:30 PM   #5
53kyle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DP View Post
Safari in Mavericks is slow.

Up until the latest version I would have agreed that in general every release has seen an improvement. However it is now substantially slower than Chrome or FireFox.

It's doesn't make it unusable but to claim it is now a front runner is a little over the top.
Many people that I see on these forums say that safari on mavericks is faster than the other browsers and the previous versions of safari. Some people say it is slower and I think it has to do with things like how many tabs are open and how big the website you are loading is.
 Red iPod Touch 5th Gen, 32 GB;
53kyle is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2013, 06:57 AM   #6
tooobe
macrumors regular

Are you kidding? Safari is faster than any other browser I've tried, it's too bad that its other shortcomings make it impossible for me to use instead of chrome.
tooobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 01:04 AM   #7
aquadisiac
macrumors 6502

its definitely slower on mavericks. has nothing to do with tabs because it takes FOREVER to load.
Time Capsule
aquadisiac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 01:08 PM   #8
iLuvMyMacToo
macrumors regular

Yep Safari is slower in Mavericks. It is annoying and I'm surprised it wasn't dealt with in the latest update.
iLuvMyMacToo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store