Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zukin2956

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
have apple tv2 can not get it connect to my wifi network.
any ideas or suggestions?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I had to extend my wifi network to get mine to work. Had a floor and a wall between router and atv. Once extended, there was no issue.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
That sounds like one of those, Doctor, am sick, what's wrong with me![/]

Is it plugged in?
Did it EVER worked?
Can u PING it?
Does it work WIRED?

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Based on the talk on the internet, home sharing with iTunes has never worked, has it. I know I haven't had it work for more than a few minutes, trying all the "fixes"

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Based on the talk on the internet, home sharing with iTunes has never worked, has it. I know I haven't had it work for more than a few minutes, trying all the "fixes"
Has worked for me, every single day. For over a year by now.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Works for me too. Any issues are usually network related and are cleared up by rebooting the router. Make sure you are using DHCP reservations for your ATVs and computer and the most recent versions of ATV firmware and iTunes.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I'm not sure fixed IP-s are a must (eg I have a normal DHCP address on my aTV but reserved address on iTunes server), but proper DNS service and iTunes Store access are vital for Home Sharing authentication.
Don't know if it plays a role, but I use a separate Apple ID for Home Sharing purpose only. All the Macs and iDevices in my household Home Share with that ID. Everyone uses his/her own Apple ID for Store purchases & downloads.

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
This is old, but I worked it out. If you have IPV6 enabled Apple TV just doesn't work problerly. Disable it and it's all good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.