Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I've noticed this happening 5 times across 3 days. It's happening on a Haswell Retina MBP running Mavericks. Apple discussion forums are showing some people experiencing similar issues after Mavericks upgrade on other systems; iMacs and older MBPs included.

I personally didn't experience this on my old MBP on Mavericks. There are no crash report upon re-login, but console logs show "System was rebooted due to sleep/wake failure".

What I've done for now is to turn off Power Nap. This feature is new to Mavericks, and only supported on some newer systems, which may explain why my old MBP3,1 is not rebooting itself.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:

phil83

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Washington, DC
Are you using a non-standard screensaver? I had downloaded Fliqlo (flip clock style) screen saver and was getting the same boot crashes when my mac went to sleep until I removed it.

-MBP 15" 2.3/16/564/2gb

Last edited:

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
No screensaver. And these occurred while lid is not closed.

"Prevent Sleep when Display off" in Energy Saver is not checked, so it's still in Sleep mode. I turned off Power Nap for now, and will see if that was the culprit.

I know of the threads on Apple Discussion Forums, but curious how many others here are experiencing similar. Apparently Power Nap is new for Mavericks, and only enabled on later models, and only with SSD.

My old MBP which was upgraded to SSD does not show the Power Nap feature, and it has not experienced these reboots.

lg251

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
I've had a similar issue :

Streaming TV shows on Apple TV, pause the show and go make myself a coffee : when I come back the Apple TV went to "sleep" and the (late '13) rMBP shut down or rebooted...

I even got a full black screen with a red line in the middle (vertically) and had to manual reboot...scared the bejesus out of me!

I don't know if this is also related to the sleep cutting the wifi when you download something...very annoying!

Last edited:

keithpgdrb

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
restarting

I am having the same issue as well. seems it is only restarting itself when I have my external backup drive plugged in. disconnected it last night and it was fine this morn. going to test this theory with the drive connected again today. any answers found yet? or do we have to wait for an apple fix?

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
My new MBPr 13" (base model 8/256), purchased just over 2weeks ago, has shutdown 3times now on being woken from sleep. tells me: your computer shutdown because of a problem.

I did Permissions repair each time. Talked to Apple Support, did SMC and PRAM resets, I knew about those, also did Safe Boot, which was new to me.

The tech guy thought it may have happened because I plugged in an external drive while it was asleep, as I was going to do a Time Machine backup. I can't remember if I had an external drive attached the other times this happened.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I had this issue on my mid-2009 MBP while running Leopard and Snow Leopard. Couldn't get an answer from Apple as to what the problem was.

mihirkamat

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
NJ
Similar problem with external drives

I have a similar problem - MBP 13" retina, late 2013

If I plug in an external drive and the machine sleeps for > 4 hours (which is when I think it changes over to hibernate/deep sleep) when I try to wake it the machine is unresponsive - the machine is on, and warm, with the apple logo lit, but no video output, no keyboard backlight. Only way to recover is turn is off, then restart after PRAM reset.

I've futzed with it for the last few days and it's definitely only when there's an external drive plugged in. I updated the firmware on the drive, removed the hub that was there as well and plugged it directly into the MBP. Without the drive, sleep/wake works perfectly.

My machine came installed with 10.9, but this MAY have started after the 10.9.1 upgrade (though it's hard to be sure).

Currently I've now checked the "prevent the compute from automatically sleeping..." setting and will hope that works.

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I'm having the same problem with my late 2013 Macbookpro Retina replacement I got this past Sunday. I had it replaced due to random unresponsive keyboard and trackpad. I didn't have this sleep wake failure problem before I got this replacement and I'm using the same usb devices as before (hub, mouse, kb, hdd).

I don't think it is a usb problem cause I'm using the same usb devices as before with no problems.

Attachment is a screenshot of the logs from the "console" app.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 9.31.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 9.31.36 AM.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 282

RS1999ent

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Hi,

Has anyone gotten any answers about this problem yet? I am seeing the same issues on my new late 2013 retina macbook pro, which I just got last week. I set the laptop up as new, so I doubt it's any existing software that's causing the problem.

RS1999ent

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Do you have an external hard drive connected when you have the problem?

Yes, I do. I have a USB 2 time machine disk attached. Is the official consensusn that it's an external disk that causes the issue to manifest? There seem to be several threads on various sites about this and some seem to have luck when they disconnect their external drives and others don't...

l leave the drive unconnected tonight, but the problem doesn't occur consistently enough to make any conclusions based on just a few days worth of observations...

mihirkamat

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
NJ
I think the problem really is the external drive. I've never had it happen when the drive is disconnected. It also ONLY happens once the machine goes into deep sleep (after about 4 hours). Try it tonight without the external drive and see what happens.

Currently I have my machine set to never sleep on AC power, which is a temporary fix.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
So far, it has only happened on mine with external drive connected or when I've plugged the drive in when it is sleeping.

RS1999ent

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Yep, I didn't see any restarts last night when I left the external hard drive unplugged. As others have suggested, the problem seems to be an issue with app nap and external USB hard drives. My external hard drive is configured for time machine, so app nap probably wakes the machine up every now and then to back up to it. I wonder if folks who are not using an external HD for time machine have run into the same problem? Similarly, I wonder if a thunderbolt hard drive forces the problem?

Btw, I have two time machine backups: one via the USB external HD and another via a portable HD connected to an old airport extreme. Mavericks seems to work fine with the (unsupported) portable HD/airport extreme setup, but forces the laptop to restart with the (supported) USB hard drive approach. Kinda amusing :)

kastorff

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2006
I haven't had this issue with my late 2013 rMBP 15" until I attached a USB 3 Western Digital MyBook 2 TB drive to the right side USB port. I've had a USB 3 Western Digital Passport 2 TB drive connected to the left side USB port without issue since I bought the machine. If I disconnect the MyBook I don't have the Sleep Wake Failure crashes. With it connected, I do.

From reading the posts on the Apple Discussion Forums, that isn't a definitive solution. Folks have the Sleep Wake Failures with all types of Macs, with external devices connected (or not). The only common factor seems to be Mavericks.

Last edited:

mihirkamat

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
NJ
I tried the drive on either USB port - same results, still with sleep/wake failure. I haven't tried disabling app nap, but will probably try that next.

RS1999ent

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Does anyone know if the new 10.9.2 update fixes this problem? I'm planning to experiment tonight :)

mrmars

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
Sleep Wake Failure

I was not having this issue until I ran the update for 10.9.2. I don't have a hard drive connected when this happens. It has done it twice now since I have run the update two days ago. How can I fix this?

Hammie13

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2014
Sleep Wake Failure

I was not having this issue until I ran the update for 10.9.2. I don't have a hard drive connected when this happens. It has done it twice now since I have run the update two days ago. How can I fix this?

Exactly the same here! I updated to 10.9.2 a couple of days ago, I don't have any external drives connected, and it has done it twice in two days. Irritating or what? I don't see any reason for us to fiddle around trying to find a solution as the problem came with the update. New update required please....

----------

Does anyone know if the new 10.9.2 update fixes this problem? I'm planning to experiment tonight :)
Quite the reverse! In my case it caused the problem so don't get your hopes up!

enricofra

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
I'm having the same issues and I think the problem is PowerNap.
I'm not keeping a diary of the reboots but I think that the reboot happens when I put my MBPro retina on charge before going to sleep.
Since the lid is closed, the mac SHOULD be sleeping too, and not crashing, unless something is happening in its sleep... here it is, PowerNap, which on most Mac is active just when charging (look on System Preferences/Energy Saving/)!

When on PowerNap my sleeping Mac actually updates calendars, email, etc which is nice, but most of all "tries" to update the TimeMachine backup. What if finding a non TimeMachine drive, or not finding any disk at all (which is more likely) makes him angry?

I've just disabled Powernap, both on battery and when charging, and wait for it to happen again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.