Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheareb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
Hi folks, just purchased a new macbook pro at an apple store using educational discount. I understood that the warranty would be technical support for 3 years but only 1 year telephone support by default. This is what I see when I look at the uni page and it would cost £48 to upgrade telephone support to 3 years.

Therefore if my mac had a technical issue I could take it to apple store during the 3 years to get fixed.

However, during my visit the sales person said this wasn't so and only applied if you bought the machine on the university network as "they buy in bulk". From previous experience, they don't "buy" anything, its all delivered from apple.

Can anyone clarify if i need to fork out another £48 to ensure I have 3 years technical repair support (not bothered about telephone)\

thanks

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
I believe you only get the three years applecare if you buy via the online education store or via an on campus seller.
I bought my first mac at the Apple store and paid for the heavily discounted applecare but my second I bought from my uni bookshop and got the 3 years cover free.

Having said this if I knew what I know now I wouldn't buy applecare at all in the UK as you are already covered under UK law for 2 years, and up to 6 years provided the fault is caused by a manufacturing fault (the same cover you get under applecare)

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

have a read of that and see if you feel it's worth paying the £48

The extra warranty under EU law is part of the reason apple products are more expensive here

Last edited:

boomdog

macrumors regular
Put your serial number in here and it should tell you how much warranty/support you have remaining as well as what upgrades you can purchase (warranty upgrades that is).

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

sheareb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
cheers chaps .. plugged in serial number and it does indeed say 1 year.
Weird, when I bought my iMac by calling apple I got 3 and no idea why its different in store.

Will have a look at UK legislation - have used sale of goods act etc before but will look at your link

thanks

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
Yeah I think you get it over the phone too.

I guess it's something to do with accounting, when you buy online/on campus/over the phone you are dealing with apple education and when you buy in store even though you get the discount you're dealing with apple retail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.