Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Is there one? Getting a little tired of children destroying them. I've been using these, they last longer than Apple's under the abuse of teenagers, but still not long enough.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Have you tried the AmazonBasics ones? The only thing people seem to dislike about them is that the connector is a bit bulkier than the apple one. It's a problem with certain cases, but the bigger connector might be more durable.

JAT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
There used to be a post here. The mess recently must have lost it.

I am probably going to try those. They don't look particularly tough. Maybe I just need better kids.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Wow. You can probably buy about 10 generic lightning cables for the price of one RND cable. With 10 cables laying around, it wouldn't matter if a few break.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
Wow. You can probably buy about 10 generic lightning cables for the price of one RND cable. With 10 cables laying around, it wouldn't matter if a few break.

That's what I thought, and ended up getting a small bunch (6) of cheap cables for $20. The bad part, in 3 months time, they all broke. So yes, a cheapass pays twice.

I got a Rocketfish brand cable from Best Buy, it was only a tiny bit cheaper than Apple's, but it is a bit sturdier than the OEM stuff. Had an issue with it not fitting when using a Lifeproof case, but a few minutes with a piece of sandpaper fixed that ;) Although if your kids are motivated enough, I doubt there is a cable on the market that will not cave in given enough time :D

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
How and what places do they tend to break? I would thank that's relevant for good suggestions.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I've been using one of Griffin's Lightning cables in my car for a while now. Maybe try that? Definitely better than Apple's.

JAT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
How and what places do they tend to break? I would thank that's relevant for good suggestions.

Standard place, right at the connector. The thicker cables I've been using are still not particularly strong, it's not heavy-duty stress relief that they use.

----------

I have a cheap cable that I paid about $3 for about a year ago which I use daily and it's still in perfect shape.

Mine are all perfect too. Just not the teens' cables.

JAT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Do those even work well? I've read all sorts of issues with non-certified lightning cables.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Probably because they're pulling them out by the cable, not the connector. They just need a little education.

Exactly. Or those children will most likely win darwin awards in the future by breaking electrical cords with higher currents.

Yell0w

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
Probably because they're pulling them out by the cable, not the connector. They just need a little education.

My uncle has a 3 year old who does exactly what you described. Went to the apple store today, they will not replace it even on a device with valid warranty.

abbottcostello

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
Bflo, NY
Found this link in a post by jetlitheone - no cable at all, "credit card" or "key" forms available (key form factor is pre-order, due out Dec. 15) from Nomad

May have to pick up one of these, not wild about the dangling iphone in the one picture, you could utilize a regular usb cable if needed with the "key" to eliminate any dangling, makes any cord yanking unlikely!!!

JAT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I agree with earlier replies, the kids need to be taught not to break them. If they do repeatedly, make them replace it with their pocket money. They'll soon learn at £15 / $25 a time!
:rolleyes:
Thanks for all that, guys. Apparently you all come from the magic place where teenagers do what you say. Get me a train ticket, I'll join you there. Do they also clean their rooms?

Their own money is already what's being used, ever since they trashed the Apple cords that came with the iPads in mere weeks. Still have to shop, though. Which is what I'm doing.

BTW, in this case it's partly about pulling on the cord, but more about bending it badly by stupid positioning of the iPad, like in bed. (also working on teaching them this is stupid, before anyone mentions it)

boomdog

macrumors regular
:rolleyes:
Thanks for all that, guys. Apparently you all come from the magic place where teenagers do what you say. Get me a train ticket, I'll join you there. Do they also clean their rooms?

Their own money is already what's being used, ever since they trashed the Apple cords that came with the iPads in mere weeks. Still have to shop, though. Which is what I'm doing.

BTW, in this case it's partly about pulling on the cord, but more about bending it badly by stupid positioning of the iPad, like in bed. (also working on teaching them this is stupid, before anyone mentions it)

Why not try getting a dock? If it's happening most when they're using it whilst it's charging, whey not buy a charging dock so they have to stand the iPad in it to charge it?

I'm a teacher by the way, so understand how destructive teenagers can be!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
People people people teenagers do not work like normal people. I'm with the op on this. Teenagers are evil creatures!

It's going to be a combination of pulling the connected out by the cable not the connector as well as using the device while it's on charge. The latter being more destructive.

JAT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I never knew this was a problem. Even when syncing, lots of processes are running and charging at the same time...

You misunderstand. It's because they use it leaning against their hand/couch/bed/table/dog, bending the wire. I'd start calling them all sorts of names, but they're my kids...what would you think of me then? :D

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You misunderstand. It's because they use it leaning against their hand/couch/bed/table/dog, bending the wire. I'd start calling them all sorts of names, but they're my kids...what would you think of me then? :D
Your not alone my kids do exactly the same thing!!

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Dread to think what your kids are doing to them to cause such damage!

What you could do it buy a roll of self amalgamating tape and cover the cable and plastic parts of the connectors with it. Would make them much tougher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.