Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobertoG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Tired of not finding an exact match for a good condition white unlocked iPhone 5 at a fair price (they sell at near new prices, or have a crack), I thought of this strategy for a low haggle purchase, in a nice place:

Standing outside the store with a sign "up to 350 for your iphone!!!"

Any drawbacks or foreseeable problems of doing this?

imejh

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2013
It won't be a problem till someone who works at the store sees what your doing then asks you to get rid of the sign and leave.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
You'll have loads of people try and offload their old iPhones and expect decent money, plus you'll have security move you off site no doubt depending where the Apple store is.

RobertoG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
I just read that Apple would only give credit to those looking to start a new [carrier] contract, thus virtually all iphone 5 owners would be disqualified.

Is this true?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
If the Apple store is in a Mall which most are, the mall operators can throw you out for soliciting on private property if store personnel complain. Most malls have signs posted strictly prohibiting exactly what you are asking.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Tired of not finding an exact match for a good condition white unlocked iPhone 5 at a fair price (they sell at near new prices, or have a crack), I thought of this strategy for a low haggle purchase, in a nice place:

Standing outside the store with a sign "up to 350 for your iphone!!!"

Any drawbacks or foreseeable problems of doing this?

$350?

I was offered $325 for just recycling my iphone:

Unlocked White iPhone 5 32 GB mint condition.

This think is, I have apple care plus extended/accidental warranty which recycling doesn't that that into account.

I don't know if different regions gives differing prices, but that was the price I got in Los Angeles.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
$350?

I was offered $325 for just recycling my iphone:

Unlocked White iPhone 5 32 GB mint condition.

This think is, I have apple care plus extended/accidental warranty which recycling doesn't that that into account.

I don't know if different regions gives differing prices, but that was the price I got in Los Angeles.

You can call AppleCare and get a refund on the unused portion if your AppleCare coverage. I do that all the time. After one year on my iPhone5 I got $49 back returned on my credit card for the unused portion of my AppleCare plus. Just call AppleCare. Ask for the agreements administration department

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.