Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
I've exchanged 7 iPads. Every single one of them has the yellow tint on the left side of the screen. Some worse than others. Bought at different stores, same issue.

QC on these is incredibly poor. At this point, I'll hold on to the one I have and see how the retina minis are when they come out. Maybe the smaller screen size means less to mess up.

Biggest lesson from this whole ordeal is to definitely buy at an Apple store or a store with a liberal return policy. Otherwise good luck getting an exchange.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Sounds almost hypochondriac to me. Just enjoy the device and don't worry about it?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Wow. Thats a lot of exchanging. Id say you might as well forget it. It is possible that your eyes simply pick up on something that some others dont. I dunno. Sorry it didnt work out.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
7 iPads? Either you're really unlucky, or you're just seeing things. Did you notice this yellow tint during normal usage, or were you just looking for these problems with a plain white screen?

Lazyboi

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
I went through 3 Airs. First one had a shadowly line on one edge. The other had the yellow tint on the left and bluish white on the right. I almost gave up too but I decided to try one more time and I got a great screen. By the way who is manufacturing the Air screens for Apple? Lg? Samsung? Sharp?

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
My Air has a dark horizontal line running through the middle of the screen, Im just going to live with it for a few weeks and go to Apple and get it changed hopefully by then the screen issues are worked out. I have to say this is pretty ridiculous, but Im glad mine isn't the only one messed up, at first I assumed it was.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
3 tries and they seem to get worse for me. Last one is a grungy yellow on left and crisp white on right. Looks ridiculous.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
7 iPads? Either you're really unlucky, or you're just seeing things. Did you notice this yellow tint during normal usage, or were you just looking for these problems with a plain white screen?
It's there on most iPads (even older generations). I see it a bit on mine but I can live with it. I've seen worse than mine though. Most people will not notice it. I am a graphic artist with great eyesight and noticed it immediately.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've exchanged 7 iPads. Every single one of them has the yellow tint on the left side of the screen. Some worse than others. Bought at different stores, same issue.

QC on these is incredibly poor. At this point, I'll hold on to the one I have and see how the retina minis are when they come out. Maybe the smaller screen size means less to mess up.

Biggest lesson from this whole ordeal is to definitely buy at an Apple store or a store with a liberal return policy. Otherwise good luck getting an exchange.

This isn't horrible luck. THEY'RE ALL like this. You go look at any pictures people post of their "perfect" iPad Airs, and they all have that yellow tint that starts on the left side and swoops around the right toward the bottom of the display. You're just wasting yours and Apple's time.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
OP, are you saying that in everyday use one side of your screen is more yellow?

Or do you have to bring up a white screen to see it.

Post a screenshot of your situation so we all can see just exactly what the offending issue is...

----------

This isn't horrible luck. THEY'RE ALL like this. You go look at any pictures people post of their "perfect" iPad Airs, and they all have that yellow tint that starts on the left side and swoops around the right toward the bottom of the display. You're just wasting yours and Apple's time.

Does this issue affect normal use?

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010

Post a screenshot of your situation so we all can see just exactly what the offending issue is...

Open up MacRumors Forums and look at the biege/grey title bars. You'll notice that the color of the title bar is more beige on the left and more grey on the right. Reason: The yellower white starts on the left and ends in a bluer white on the right.

Edit: This is in portrait mode.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
It took 4 tries for me to get one I'm happy with. The 4th one has a bright screen with no yellow or other issues. In all honesty it's not quite as good as the screen on my iPad 4 but it's pretty close and the size and weight make it the winner.

Edited to add that I normally use the iPad in landscape mode, but if I view a white screen in portrait mode I can see a very faint yellow area on the bottom left side of the screen. Nothing I see in normal use, but not there on my iPad 4.

Last edited:

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
My Air has a faded line down the left side of the screen. It almost looks slightly more grey than the rest of the screen. Is this what we are talking about?

If so, this is something only the most insane of people would care about.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
My Air has a faded line down the left side of the screen. It almost looks slightly more grey than the rest of the screen. Is this what we are talking about?

I saw this on several Airs today at the Apple store. If I'm being honest with myself, it did annoy me.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012

Does this issue affect normal use?

You have to bring up a predominantly white screen to see it. But guess what? Most web pages and books fall into that category.

I'm also convinced that this is a problem on the vast majority of iPads and the people who don't see it are either lucky or bit noticing it.

No it doesn't affect normal usage, but it sure is a tough pill to swallow for a device this expensive.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
who knew it was so damn hard to make a uniform screen. it has nothing to do with Retina either, since the iPad 2 has a lot of screen problems in the beginning too, right?

i couldn't get an iPad 3 with a good screen so i gave up. i bought an iPad 3 refurb towards the end of the year and the screen was perfect. so for all of the people here going through the screen lottery game all over again, just get your money back and wait for the refurbs to pop up on Apple.com. you'll be waiting at least a few months, maybe more though

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
who knew it was so damn hard to make a uniform screen. it has nothing to do with Retina either, since the iPad 2 has a lot of screen problems in the beginning too, right?

i couldn't get an iPad 3 with a good screen so i gave up. i bought an iPad 3 refurb towards the end of the year and the screen was perfect. so for all of the people here going through the screen lottery game all over again, just get your money back and wait for the refurbs to pop up on Apple.com. you'll be waiting at least a few months, maybe more though

I don't think they've figured out anything. I think they've just made a decision that these yellow tints are acceptable, otherwise manufacturing yields would be incredibly low. And judging from some of the posts on here, it appears it's a wise decision. Most people probably don't notice or care.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013

I think it's a light bar or something.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012

No. We're talking about screens that are clearly more yellow on the left 1/3 or 1/2 of the screen. It's easy to see when you split the keyboard in portrait. Extremely annoying on most webpages (which have white backgrounds) and ebooks.

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
I wish I could see what you guys see. I've had 4 people try to see of they could see discoloration on my screen with notes pulled up and neither them nor I can see anything.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Can we please get some pictures of this? Like an iPad Air with this defect on the home screen, watching a video, on a web page, or viewing a photo? I need to see to believe, and nobody has posted any evidence of this being such a grievous issue.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
It's hard to believe that after 7 screens you didn't get a good one. Apple should pay you to give up if you don't give up yourself. LOL,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.