Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Hi there. I have a new APE which I bought just for airplay duties. I have set it up (added to existing network) the green light is on, and both my iphone and ipad (ios7) can see it as and airplay device. When I choose the airport for airplay it seems to be working and the music playback bar continues to progress - but there is no audio combining out of the 3.5mm audio out port. I have tried connecting to my amp (analogue) and some headphones. I have tried rebooting and resetting the APE but nothing works. Any ideas?

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Well it turned out the audio out socket does work, but I was suffering epic drop outs.

Apple may make the best tablets, phones and laptops, but their networking gear and the airplay protocol need work.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Well it turned out the audio out socket does work, but I was suffering epic drop outs.

Apple may make the best tablets, phones and laptops, but their networking gear and the airplay protocol need work.

I would disagree. I've got several Airport Expresses in use around the house for streaming music to in-ceiling speaker sets, at least one is from the days when it was originally called AirTunes. All function flawlessly without a glitch or Airplay issue. I would guess you may have a faulty device. As it is new, you might consider exchanging it.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I would disagree. I've got several Airport Expresses in use around the house for streaming music to in-ceiling speaker sets, at least one is from the days when it was originally called AirTunes. All function flawlessly without a glitch or Airplay issue. I would guess you may have a faulty device. As it is new, you might consider exchanging it.

Your welcome to disagree, and I'm glad it's good for you, but I have used many streaming devices (helped develop the Squeezebox) for audio and video, consoles, iPhones, android devices, smart TV... with my wireless network and this first time in 8 years I have had make changes to it for it to be OK with my ape and Apple TV. Research over the last couple of days has shown me that the issue of dropping out is very common. Apple networking gear does not like other non-apple gear and struggles with anything other than strong wifi signal more so than any other device I have used.

It's great when it works though. Airplay is very limited in it functionality, but it's very simple and integrates with my iphone and ipad better than anything else I have tried. On the whole I'm very happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.