Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
So I have iCloud set up on my PC. I see all my "my photostream" photos and shared stream photos on my PC in the iCloud created directory/folders.

Do I need to do anything else to preserve those photos forever on my hard drive (other than normal PC backup routines)? In other words, if I turn off "my photostream" or delete the shared streams on my iOS devices, are the photos than deleted from my PC too?

Do I need to manually copy all of the folders/photos that iCloud copied onto my PC to another directory (outside iCloud), so that the photos are saved permanently on my hard drive?

Last edited:

Genkobar

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2014
The photos in your photo stream folder on the PC won't be deleted unless you manually delete something from the photo stream on any of your iDevices. Turning the photo stream on/off, even on the PC, won't delete the photos.

Personally I copy all of the photos to a backup to be sure, but you shouldn't need to worry about it.

I have had issues with the Photo Stream to PC since iOS7 though... but if the photo stream is syncing at all with your PC, the above is the expected behavior.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
So I have iCloud set up on my PC. I see all my "my photostream" photos and shared stream photos on my PC in the iCloud created directory/folders.

Do I need to do anything else to preserve those photos forever on my hard drive (other than normal PC backup routines)? In other words, if I turn off "my photostream" or delete the shared streams on my iOS devices, are the photos than deleted from my PC too?

Do I need to manually copy all of the folders/photos that iCloud copied onto my PC to another directory (outside iCloud), so that the photos are saved permanently on my hard drive?

The photos will stay there for 30 days, unless you move them to another folder.

have a read of http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4486

EDIT Actually not sure the link answers the question you were asking, 30 days is the time on iCloud.

The FAQ says that if you turn off Photostream on an iOS device then the photos will be deleted from that device. It doesn't say what happens if you turn off Photostream on a computer, but I did it recently on a small Mac test volume and it deleted them.

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I had "SyncToy" set up on a Windows machine to (manually) sync additions to the Photostream folder to a separate folder. If anything happened to the Photostream folder I'd have the photos in the other folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.