Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Maps Significantly More Popular Than All Other iOS Mapping Apps, Including Google

After a rough launch last year, Apple Maps appears to be doing very well for itself, with 35 million U.S. iPhone owners using the app in September 2013, versus 6 million iOS users of the downloadable Google Maps according to data from comScore and The Guardian.

The data remains a little fuzzy as neither Google nor Apple publicly release their usage figures, but if they are even close to correct, Apple has largely succeeded with its Maps rollout and Google has lost a tremendous number of Maps users in just a year.

It's likely that Apple's success is largely due to the incredible advantage default apps hold on mobile platforms, with the majority of users finding Apple Maps to be "good enough" and not looking for an alternative.

According to comScore, Google Maps has gone from 81.1 million mobile U.S. users last year to just 58.7 million this year, a drop of more than 20 million. At the same time, the total number of iPhone and Android phone users in the U.S. increased from 103.6 million to 136.7 million. comScore attributes this significant drop largely to the introduction of Apple Maps as the default app on iPhones, as well as an increasing share of younger users that don't use any mapping application.
Quote:
ComScore's data shows that in September 2013, 35m used Apple's maps at least once during the month, out of a total iPhone population of 60.1m. The 58% usage on the iPhone is reckoned to reflect the growing number of younger users who do not use mapping services; the proportion of iPhone users who use any mapping service, including Google's, has been dropping since April 2012, according to ComScore's data.

Wood said: "The thing is, on an iPhone all roads lead to Apple's maps. They're putting this front and centre for users, and getting more confident." For Google, he said, "They're very fortunate that Android is a big source of data - they will be very relieved at that." He cautioned that US iPhone users might be more eager to use Apple's maps because there seem to be fewer errors there compared to other regions, including Europe.
35 million iPhone owners used Apple Maps in September, out of 60.1 million total iPhone owners in the United States, some 58 percent. Based on The Guardian's modeling, this means roughly 8.3 million iPhone users are using an alternative mapping application like Google Maps, with approximately two million of those using the pre-iOS 6 default Google Maps application because they have not upgraded to a newer version of the iOS.

Article Link: Apple Maps Significantly More Popular Than All Other iOS Mapping Apps, Including Google
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
NotAdvisable
macrumors regular

Well it is the default mapping application for iOS now... nothing too surprising.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:51 AM   #3
levitynyc
macrumors 6502a

Stockholm Syndrome.

I recently has my daughter's first birthday party and 3 people got lost solely because Apple Maps sent them to the wrong location.

I don't plan on using Apple Maps for a very long time.
levitynyc is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:51 AM   #4
slffl
macrumors 65816

It's more popular because it's better! I use maps and GPS on a daily basis and every time I give Google maps a try it fails me. Apple maps is by FAR the best navigation app out there!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Crispy Duck
macrumors regular

My only gripe is the lack of town names in the UK.
Crispy Duck is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Xenc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAdvisable View Post
Well it is the default mapping application for iOS now...
Which is what the article says...
Xenc is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Harmush
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Harmush
It's still rubbish in the UK.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:51 AM   #8
mertyz
macrumors regular

Also, Google Maps is not available in all countries.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:51 AM   #9
iLoveiTunes
macrumors regular

Could be because of he ease of use.. Data is still wrong at times but is usable.

Waze is my go to app. (esp. for cop alerts)
iLoveiTunes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:51 AM   #10
joonyaboy
macrumors regular

I prefer Apple's Maps as well as the integration, but in obscure places it does not seem as accurate. In those situations I just double check with Google.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:51 AM   #11
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Of course it is. Works extremely well in the U.S. and that's Apple's largest market. And it works much better than Google in China. It's hilarious that anybody thought anything different. Google lost out big time on this one.

Still needs some work in other countries though.
newagemac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:52 AM   #12
Applefan 2013
macrumors 6502

Apple Maps are actually more reliable now than this time last year (at least where I live), and I now use them whenever I have to go on a long trip.
Applefan 2013 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:52 AM   #13
maflynn

It works well enough for me, so why not.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:52 AM   #14
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I hate having redundant apps on my phone...
yinz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:52 AM   #15
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

What annoys me the most is it is implemented better but the data is terrible compared to Google (e.g. place names, accuracy). A combination of the two would be the ultimate mapping solution.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:53 AM   #16
jrlcopy
macrumors 6502

It still returns the worst results for me in NY.

Google def has better routing through incomplete addresses, such as, "10 w 23th" but if I enter that into apple, the I'll end up in Bangladesh.

But google also tosses me to Brooklyn for some reason every once in a while, and google likes to zoom out and show me results all over the metropolitan area instead of just in the little box I'm zoomed into.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:53 AM   #17
I8P'CS
macrumors 6502

Google maps for me....
I8P'CS is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:53 AM   #18
marioguarneros
macrumors regular

While in Europe, US and Australia I use Apple and Google maps without a preference, when in the Middle East on the other hand I have to use google maps exclusively as the info in Apple's side is pure rubbish and completely outdated.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:53 AM   #19
joetwizzy
macrumors member

Yeah ***** in the UK. Google Maps is far better.

Last edited by OllyW; Nov 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: circumventing the profanity filter
joetwizzy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:54 AM   #20
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAdvisable View Post
Well it is the default mapping application for iOS now... nothing too surprising.
Yeah one would assume so but it obviously isn't that bad or people would be looking for alternatives.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:54 AM   #21
outphase
macrumors 65816

I tend to defer to Apple Maps now because of two main reasons: 1. lock screen integration is useful and informative and 2. when audio is sent through my car's BT setup, Siri is notably louder than Google's voiceover, so I don't have to turn my music too loud just to hear the directions.
outphase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:54 AM   #22
koppie644
macrumors regular

Once I want to go to a museum, Apple Maps led me to the backdoor of the museum, which is used by those who worked there...
koppie644 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:54 AM   #23
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

It would be at least one more person popular if I could use it for my daily transit and biking directions! Ugh.
somethingelsefl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:54 AM   #24
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

Never had a problem with apple maps. Only time I use google is for transit directions, which apple will hopefully get next year.
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:55 AM   #25
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

I use Apple Maps instead of Google because it loads much faster and is less data hungry. It is also clearer in many respects. Apple actually did a good job with the design, it was the data that had problems.

BTW, an editorial note: references to people are generally in the form of "who" not "that."

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion