Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:23 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's New Manufacturing Partner, GT Advanced, Uses Particle Accelerator to Cut Sapphire Glass Production Costs

Apple's new sapphire glass manufacturing partner, GT Advanced, owns some very advanced technology to manufacture extremely thin sheets of sapphire much more cheaply than current methods.

TechCrunch has done some digging and discovered a company called Twin Creeks that GT Advanced acquired late last year. Twin Creeks developed a hydrogen particle accelerator (pictured below) as a cheaper alternative to saws when attempting to slice larger chunks of sapphire for use on electronics.

Quote:
Twin Creeks' hydrogen ion particle accelerator (basically an ion cannon) allowed them to place wafers around the edges of the device and smash them with hydrogen ions. Here's a description of the process from Extreme Tech:

"A particle accelerator bombards these wafers with hydrogen ions, and with exacting control of the voltage of the accelerator, the hydrogen ions accumulate precisely 20 micrometers from the surface of each wafer. A robotic arm then transports the wafers to a furnace where the ions expand into hydrogen gas, which cause the 20-micrometer-thick layer to shear off."

The process, when applied to solar, is then followed up by backing the sheets with flexible metal. The result is a huge reduction in thickness of sheets without the use of saws. This results in a big reduction in costs.
According to the press release GT Advanced released last week, GT expects to see its gross margins to drop significantly as sapphire glass production rises -- as costs go down -- but the overall volume will more than make up for it.

TechCrunch goes on to note a patent that Apple got last year that creates a layered touchscreen with a "hyper-thin sheet of sapphire" combined with much cheaper glass sheets. The sapphire glass could be on the outside of the phone, protecting the screen from scratches, while enjoying the cost-savings of cheaper forms of glass on the rest of the display assembly.
Quote:
By doing this, Apple could stretch out the production and cost factors of sapphire enough to support manufacturing full-size display cover sheets, not just small wearable panels, buttons or protective camera covers. This, in turn, could mean sapphire cover sheets that are harder and tougher than standard glass materials on your iPhone years sooner than most analysts have predicted.
The new Apple/GT Advanced facility is expected to open in Mesa, Arizona sometime next year.

Article Link: Apple's New Manufacturing Partner, GT Advanced, Uses Particle Accelerator to Cut Sapphire Glass Production Costs
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Noctilux.95
macrumors 6502

test
Noctilux.95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:33 PM   #3
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

First for particle-smashed forums.
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:38 PM   #4
jyen
macrumors member

Wow, I had no idea you could do stuff like that with a particle accelerator.
jyen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:40 PM   #5
JohnArtist
macrumors member

An "ion cannon"? Like from Star Wars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy_vDj1bec4
JohnArtist is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Pretty impressive looking particle accelerator.

But I'd be more impressed if it were portable (say, backpack sized) and fired a stream of protons which could trap ectoplasmic entities.
Reason077 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:43 PM   #7
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

I wish they use these kinds of advanced technology for the batteries....but glass will also do for time being, what say ?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:45 PM   #8
DaveChapin
macrumors newbie

Good Lord
DaveChapin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Woogaloo
macrumors newbie

I'd love to see the cost of the saws if a hydrogen particle accelerator is the "cheaper" alternative...

Either way very cool that they can do this.
Woogaloo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:47 PM   #10
ovt1111
macrumors newbie

Cant innovate anymore..Ya rite..
ovt1111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:49 PM   #11
josh.b
Banned

Tomorrow Samsung will have one too
josh.b is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:49 PM   #12
TrashCanBin
Banned

Impressive.
TrashCanBin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarali.ch View Post
I wish they use these kinds of advanced technology for the batteries....
Yes!! Future iPhones could be powered by micro-sized Radioisotope thermoelectric generators. These will be around the same size as current batteries but will never need to be recharged. Just be careful not to let it overheat, and dispose of responsibly!
Reason077 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Jayse
macrumors regular

Love these news stories. Very fascinating!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:59 PM   #15
petsounds
macrumors 65816

Seems like the forums got caught in a particle accelerator accident as well.

Strange that it's such a small device -- the particle accelerators I've seen pictures of are several miles in length and accelerate the particles using pulsed electromagnets. I'm surprised they can accelerate the particles in such a small enclosure and get enough velocity to cut through sapphire!
petsounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:01 PM   #16
jtmarine73
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogaloo View Post
I'd love to see the cost of the saws if a hydrogen particle accelerator is the "cheaper" alternative...

I would bet the cost is more, but there are no saws to replace. Hydrogen is in pretty good supply. Pretty amazing innovation for a company that can't innovate anymore. Would love to see how much stronger sapphire is then gorilla glass.
jtmarine73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:02 PM   #17
scbn
macrumors 6502

A Sapphire iPhone? Great!
scbn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:02 PM   #18
klaxamazoo
macrumors 6502

Quote:

It's not the cost of the saws that makes the Hydrogen Particle Accelerator cheaper. It is the fact that you don't waste a saw blade's width of material, don't waste material polishing, etc. It takes 17 days to make one ingot of sapphire and using the particle accelerators probably get 5x as many wafers out of a single ingot using this process.
klaxamazoo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:03 PM   #19
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

Quote:

The problem is that the saw blade is relatively thick so that you wind up losing most of the sapphire to the saw cut. Using the proton method there is virtually no wasted material.

Accelerating protons into sapphire is a clever idea. Charged particles in solids lose energy as 1/E. This means that the slower they move the faster they they slow down. This is why they all wind up at roughly the same depth. The protons acquire an electron from the matrix becoming hydrogen. When the boule is heated the gas expands and a thin slice cleaves off the boule.

Interesting that they will layer 20 microns of sapphire over glass. Sapphire is extremely hard but it might not be tough. Perhaps the combination is both scratch resistant and fracture resistant.
neutrino23 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:05 PM   #20
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
Seems like the forums got caught in a particle accelerator accident as well.

Strange that it's such a small device -- the particle accelerators I've seen pictures of are several miles in length and accelerate the particles using pulsed electromagnets. I'm surprised they can accelerate the particles in such a small enclosure and get enough velocity to cut through sapphire!
If my understanding of the technology is correct, the particles don't actually cut the material. The hydrogen particles accumulate on the surface of the sapphire, and then, when heated, they expand and shear off a fragment of the sapphire substrate.
DTphonehome is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 03:51 PM   #21
TMay
macrumors 65816

Would Apple also be pushing Silicon on sapphire?

I seem to recall that this is one of the processes available for RF devices; might Apple be delving into this as well?
TMay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 04:03 PM   #22
rei101
macrumors 6502a

All that 21st century technology just to receive a phone call from someone to tell you your girlfriend is cheating on you.
rei101 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 04:04 PM   #23
The Oak
macrumors newbie

If it is not 64 bit though ... forget it
The Oak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 04:20 PM   #24
needfx
macrumors 68030

Can they accelerate other production aspects with this contraption?
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 04:24 PM   #25
jmggs
macrumors regular

Particle Accelerator is controled by a PC

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion