Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
the new retina mini seems slightly sharper but very much washed out compared to the air has anyone noticed this?

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
i'm the last one to be hyper critical but there is definitely a huge difference in the pop on the screen of the colors. now i'm no videophile but my displays have always been calibrated by avical in nyc and Im into good video and audio. I sold the first mini because of the horrible resolution compared to the standard ipad. the new screen is light years ahead of the old and processor 5x as fast. bought them for xmas presents for my kids and i'm just disappointed i'll post a pic to show what I'm seeing.

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
pic

photo.jpg

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
the new retina mini seems slightly sharper but very much washed out compared to the air has anyone noticed this?

Yup - I have noticed this - but to be fair, my old Mini was just as washed out. I'd hoped that the Mini R would be along the lines of the vibrant screen on my Air but nope. And with full brightness on both - and varying levels in between.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

To some extent initially but I now have auto brightness set and I do not feel that way now. What brightness setting are you using?

interfreak

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Any hint of the dreaded 'dark bar' that runs down the LHS (in portrait) of the iPad Air? Can you look at a plain white page and see if there is any colour shift/brightness shift across the screen?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Any hint of the dreaded 'dark bar' that runs down the LHS (in portrait) of the iPad Air? Can you look at a plain white page and see if there is any colour shift/brightness shift across the screen?

No, not on mine at least. Also not on the display of the rMini on the kiosk at BB either.

offcamber

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
USA
That pic demonstrates the difference quite clearly.

The Air has clearly more saturation.

I'm surprised if this is true for most.

Last edited:

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I do see why the OP is talking about in the pic. The Air's colors are definitely brighter. I do know that my Air has the most gorgeous screen that I've ever had on an iPad. It was the first thing I noticed when I got it, even before the thinness and lighter weight.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Might the washed out screen have something to do with Apple's stringent power requirements? Stated another way, do non-washy screens typically consume more power?

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I don't have one yet to compare but I won't be surprised. Apple has to cut something somewhere in order to keep margins high. Won't be a deal breaker for me, I lived with the original screen of the mini just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.