Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Rockingham Park Apple Store in Salem, New Hampshire is dramatically expanding its footprint, moving into the former H&M space next door, as noticed by IFOAppleStore.

The store is one of the busiest mall-based locations in the chain, largely because of its proximity to Boston and the fact that New Hampshire has zero sales tax, drawing many buyers away from Boston's other Apple Store locations.

rockinghampark.jpg
The new location, which will see the store going from 5,888 to 13,500 square feet, opens Saturday at 10AM.

Article Link: Rockingham Park Apple Store in Salem, New Hampshire More Than Doubling in Size

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
It's actually rather funny. Microsoft built their store in the old Disney store location. As they were building, Apple bought out H/M back in Jan. Guess Apple didn't want Microsoft to have a bigger store then them.

Although granted, the salem store is always packed due to the no sales tax.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I gladly welcome the change and look forward to the larger location. This store can get crowded quickly.

-Kevin

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
It's actually rather funny. Microsoft built their store in the old Disney store location. As they were building, Apple bought out H/M back in Jan. Guess Apple didn't want Microsoft to have a bigger store then them.

Although granted, the salem store is always packed due to the no sales tax.

I doubt microsoft would want a large store. Realistically they only have 4 products lol. Office, xbox, Windows and Surface. maybe have a couple of brown boxed keyboards out the back in storage or special order 90% deposit required windows phone

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Could I get something closer to my house, pretty please?

Maybe a Portsmouth, NH location? That way it's still tax free but not an hour away.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Definitely just played Where's Waldo with that photo trying to figure out if there actually was an Apple store in it.

It's not a very good picture. The Apple store is on the first floor under the food court. In terms of the picture, it's on the first floor on the right side.

Do they usually have give aways to celebrate an expansion ?

Maybe a Portsmouth, NH location? That way it's still tax free but not an hour away.

I'm surprised they don't have a Portsmouth location although I doubt they would do the amount of sales that the Salem store does.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I go to this store all the time. It was brutal during the iPad 2 launch scalpers like crazy leaving with bags full of iPads. I may have to head up there this weekend as I want to check out the retina mini anyway might as well check out the big store as well

smarch

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I just want my 5s!

Any way around this?: I want to trade in my 5 and put the $ toward a 5s. I would normally just order it online for in store pickup, but I have to trade in first to apply it to the new one, so I'm stuck getting it in person at the store I think.

It's still nearly always sold out and I haven't been able to catch one. I'll have to try going at open in the morning more often, but it's getting pretty frustrating. ah well.

I just want my tax-free 5s! Anybody have any luck or advice on getting one here at the Salem store?

grey 64 ATT

SmileyDude

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
MA
I go to this store all the time. It was brutal during the iPad 2 launch scalpers like crazy leaving with bags full of iPads. I may have to head up there this weekend as I want to check out the retina mini anyway might as well check out the big store as well

The iPad 3rd gen launch was even crazier -- given a choice, I'll pick the Nashua (Pheasant Lane Mall) location over Salem every time because of that disaster. Even though I had pre-ordered and pre-paid for my iPad online, I had to wait outside while the Salem PD paraded around threatening to arrest people if they got too crazy. I watched a young African American put into handcuffs -- I have no idea if it was racially motivated or not, but given the demographics of the line, it was awfully convenient that they found someone who wasn't white to arrest.

I also watched a cop ride up and down the line on his motorcycle while yelling in his megaphone at people.

When I finally got in the door 3 hours later, I got told by the Apple employee at the mall entrance that since I had pre-paid, there wasn't any need for me to wait outside in line -- it was only because of the Salem PD that they couldn't go out and actually invite the pre-paid people inside. They got told to stay on the inside of the mall and the cops would handle the outside.

She did apologize profusely about the whole situation and I don't hold Apple personally at fault for what happened. But it has made me very leery about going to the Salem location again.

----------

I just want my tax-free 5s! Anybody have any luck or advice on getting one here at the Salem store?T

If you are just trying to avoid the sales tax, I was told by a Target employee that the MA stores pay the sales tax on the subsidy portion. So you would only pay the sales tax on the advertised price rather than the full price with subsidy (and with iPhones, that's pretty substantial with a $450 subsidy -- $28.13 in additional sales tax).

Otherwise, just keep checking at all the stores -- don't overlook Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart and the Nashua Apple Store as well.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I wish they would put one in West Lebanon, NH; the store in Portland Maine is actually closer to me than this one in Rockingham.

Granted, there are probably more people within 30 miles of this store than in the whole state of Vermont!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003

Problem with Portsmouth is the malls are garbage. Not sure if downtown would be a good idea or not but it would be awesome.

They did recently announce Whole Foods is going in.

kingsapo

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
The iPad 3rd gen launch was even crazier -- given a choice, I'll pick the Nashua (Pheasant Lane Mall) location over Salem every time because of that disaster. Even though I had pre-ordered and pre-paid for my iPad online, I had to wait outside while the Salem PD paraded around threatening to arrest people if they got too crazy. I watched a young African American put into handcuffs -- I have no idea if it was racially motivated or not, but given the demographics of the line, it was awfully convenient that they found someone who wasn't white to arrest.

I also watched a cop ride up and down the line on his motorcycle while yelling in his megaphone at people.

When I finally got in the door 3 hours later, I got told by the Apple employee at the mall entrance that since I had pre-paid, there wasn't any need for me to wait outside in line -- it was only because of the Salem PD that they couldn't go out and actually invite the pre-paid people inside. They got told to stay on the inside of the mall and the cops would handle the outside.

She did apologize profusely about the whole situation and I don't hold Apple personally at fault for what happened. But it has made me very leery about going to the Salem location again.

Haha I remember that! Those cops were great "You will go in to buy an iPad and then you will LEAVE!!!" I guess the police presence was because of some riot that broke out hours before when people tried to charge the mall or something. That sucks about your pre-order situation, but it's gotta be funny to think of now! After all, comedy = misery + time :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.