Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leney

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
The title states it all. Do Mini with Retina Cases fit old Mini cases?

You have one too many cases.

I think it depends on the case whether or not the iPad mini with Retina display is compatible with cases designed for the original iPad mini. I've been looking around for cases and sometimes come across cases that show compatibility with both models; they were presumably designed and released before the retina model came out.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
depends. the smart cover types might. But the dimensions of the retina are a few millimeters larger. My devicewear case does not quite fit the new retina mini anymore. I could force it but not sure what the upside in that attempt would be

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Fair enough but it is enough to cause one of the corners of the rMini to not fit into the first gen case (its a folio style by Devicewear).

damn, I just ordered that case thinking it would probably work.

do you confirm that there is no way it works, or you just don't want to try too hard not to break anything?

I had used an iPad 2 case on my iPad 3 before (the difference between the two was greater than the difference between iPad Mini 1 & 2), so I thought it should be OK.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
damn, I just ordered that case thinking it would probably work.

do you confirm that there is no way it works, or you just don't want to try too hard not to break anything?

I had used an iPad 2 case on my iPad 3 before (the difference between the two was greater than the difference between iPad Mini 1 & 2), so I thought it should be OK.

It doesn't fit. That last corner just won't snap in whereas the original mini snaps in with mild pressure applied. I really like this case too. Super light weight and offers great protection. But I think because it was fit perfectly the slight change is causing an issue here.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
If it does fit, you also have to be aware that it might block the second mic on the new rMini

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
FWIW - I had a plastic snap back cover for my iPad 2 that I was able to get to fit on the iPad 3 - which was a much larger difference in thickness than the mini to mini retina.

I'd venture to say MOST cases will fit with the right amount of oomph....whether or not you want to struggle to fit your retina mini into a case is entirely up to you.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Just to confirm. You said that this fits your zagg folio keyboard (the one with a back cover and backlit keyboard right? This one right:

http://www.zagg.com/ipad-mini-folio/7980

I have contact Zagg and no one can tell me if the retina ipad mini fits or not.

I wouldn't trust it.
Any rigid-type case that depends on a high tolerance fit to stay attached will either not fit or will break prematurely due to increased stresses on the attachment points.

khongaeng

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
USA or ประเทศ&
I wouldn't trust it.
Any rigid-type case that depends on a high tolerance fit to stay attached will either not fit or will break prematurely due to increased stresses on the attachment points.

This is my thought too, but I am just hoping that someone with both the case and the new ipad can confirm or deny the compatibility with some more details

plasmo

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
I can CONFIRM that the LifeProof Fre for non-Retina iPad mini does NOT work with the Retina version. The 0.3mm increase in thickeness won't allow it to close.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
My Rocketfish Hard Case rear shell does NOT fit properly on the new iPad mini. It really is a hair too small. It snaps on to the new one, but barely. The corners always slip off when you're holding it. I love this Rocketfish rear shell (i use it along with the Smart Cover). I'm patiently waiting for an officially fitting rear shell to be released.

Some manufacturers are simply slapping the "compatible with the new iPad mini" on their listings. One manufacturer in particular recently had a sale on one of their iPad mini cases, also listed as compatible with the retina mini. After corresponding with them over email I was told that the cases fit, but "not as well", thus the reason for the sale. They also realized after I asked that the cases also had no hole for the second mic.

I sense there's a lot of assumption out there that all the original iPad mini cases will fit the new one, because the increase in thickness is indeed slight. But a lot of these cases are pretty precise in their measurements. And the increase is significant when it comes to this kind of stuff. That second mic hole is also an important factor to consider.

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
The Mini Retina has an extra mic hole on the back that will be covered up by most older mini cases.

YvonneUK1

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
I emailed Griffin to see if the Survivor case would as i knew it was a tight fit. They said yes.

I have fitted it on the Retina one although, in my opinion, the inner hard shell doesn't fit as well at the corners although it is shut.

It will do for now but I will be on the look out for a new one.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I have an Incipio Lexington folio case and it works for both the Mini and rMini even though at Incipio's website they seem to sell a different Lexington version for each.

Jonavin

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Two of my iPad mini cases don't fit my iPad mini Retina. One is a Poetic SLIMLINE Portfolio Case, and the other is Colors Smart Slim Flip Leather Case Cover (eBay).

In both cases it look like the extra thickness is preventing it from fulling grab onto the edge of the corners. Both case were snug perfect fit for the original mini. That 3mm extra is enough to make these cases not work.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I can confirm that the Speck FitFolio will NOT fit the retina Mini. It's very close, but an extremely tight fit (making it almost impossible to get out), and one corner will always be a little raised.

I also phoned Speck (and actually spoke with a real live human!) and they confirmed that the FitFolio doesn't fit. The retina Mini equivalent is the Speck StyleFolio.

Guess that extra 0.3mm of thickness actually makes a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.