Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Msolomi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Anyone with the iPad mini retina noticed it does get a little hot. I noticed it got significantly hot when it was restoring. After using it for the past couple of hours it does seem that the temperature does raise a little bit on the bottom corner of the back. Anyone experiencing the same issue?

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I'd imagine any device with a central processing unit and battery to rise in temperature under heavy load. Are you injured? If so seek medical attention.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
You should immediately try and fry an egg and a few rashers of bacon on it. If this doesn't work, it's not too hot.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Anyone with the iPad mini retina noticed it does get a little hot. I noticed it got significantly hot when it was restoring. After using it for the past couple of hours it does seem that the temperature does raise a little bit on the bottom corner of the back. Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Issue?

You're running a 64bit, Dual Core processor, running at over 1GHz pushing an insanely high resolution display, all in a device 7.5mm thick... with no fans.

There isn't an issue here.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Restoring is an activity that appears to make all models of iOS devices run quite hot and sluggish for several hours. I have found consistently that the 2nd or 3rd day experience typically falls back within the "normal" range.

Give it some time to restore and index.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I used mine for hours as well, and did not notice it getting hot. Granted, it's 25 degrees here in Chicago and it was outdoors between classes.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
My Air is NICE and Cool. Will be like an ice pack in the summer keeping me cool,:cool:

At least the rMini can keep you warm in the winter lol

Last edited:

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I would say this is normal behaviour. Temp will rise under load and since you describe it as a little, I wouldn't be concerned at all. If you use a case, I suspect you will be unlikely to feel the warmth.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Compared to some/most of the questions asked here, this one was not that bad. I know both my 5s and my Ipad Air were warm during initial setup, synch etc. But quite a bit less with normal work load.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego

Mine was definitely hot during restore yesterday. Using it now, I'm noticing it getting warm on the bottom while the top is cool to touch. Not sure if this is normal.

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Mine was definitely hot during restore yesterday. Using it now, I'm noticing it getting warm on the bottom while the top is cool to touch. Not sure if this is normal.

Same with mine. I wouldn't call it "hot" though, definitely warm. It wasn't charging due to the USB being directly to my computer and not having 10+ Watts. So it was using the battery for the whole restore, and the screen was on during a lot of that.

I usually use my ipad/iphone while it's plugged in.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
Mine is warm after about 30 minutes of reading macrumors in a warm room with the brightness at full. Reminds me of when I got my iPad 3

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As is the excessive OCD over the most trivial of issues.
The original post was just asking a question with no emphasis on any panic whatsoever. If my iPad was getting quite hot, I don't see anything wrong with asking a calm question on a forum full of iPad owners who might be able to clarify whether they were having the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.