Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
I made a thread on this a couple of nights ago which seems to have been lost somehow during the forum maintenance/hacking downtime.

Anyway, I noticed that odd addresses were showing up in the Directions drop down of maps. These were not in my contacts and I had not searched for them. From this I can only conclude that Maps scans your inbox and picks up addresses in signatures adding them to the directions drop down in case you want to look them.

I havent seen any mention of this "feature" nor does their appear to be a privacy option to control it.

In my previous post one of the respondents asked whether I might have clicked on an address accidentally. I have tested this since by deleting all directions history and shutting down maps.

I received an email, deleted it, so it doesn't reside anywhere.

I opened maps and sure enough that address had been added to the directions section.

I see why this might be a convenience to some, and I know the Apple apps have permissions to share information, but it is worrying to me that my inbox is scanned without my explicit permission and the information found is sent to another application and is obviously accessible in it.

Consider this an FYI.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I can see where this raises some eyebrows. Try submitting a request. Knowing Apple and privacy, they will listen.

Also, I like that people are out there that don't want their info taken. One thing I hate about Android is that people accept Googles constant peeping. Options is always nice, and since Apple make $0 from information like this (aside from getting data to build up a product), an option to toggle on and off is probably likely.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Your worried that one app on your phone scans another ON YOUR PHONE to make it easier for you to get somewhere?

I'm having a hard time understanding why you think this info somehow ever leaves the device and is submitted through a server owned by Apple or anyone else for that matter. :confused:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
BTW...I'm still waiting until they add the feature they now have in Maverick where it will synch with the addresses added to events in the calendar. Would use that all the time.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm having a hard time understanding why you think this info somehow ever leaves the device and is submitted through a server owned by Apple or anyone else for that matter. :confused:
Currently it doesn't seem to be transferred to Apples servers if you don't actually route to the address, as you can easily test with 2 iOS devices. However, given that Maps favorites are already shared via iCloud (without any options to disable it), I can understand concerns that information might leak out if syncing is extended sometime in the future. This is especially critical for people who use business email accounts on their devices where they may receive confidential contact information etc.

I first thought this feature was based on Spotlight search, but it even works if you exclude mail from the search. So apparently Apple Maps has direct access to the user's mailboxes (which, BTW, gives the app a competitive advantage over 3rd party apps like Google Maps).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I made a thread on this a couple of nights ago which seems to have been lost somehow during the forum maintenance/hacking downtime.

Anyway, I noticed that odd addresses were showing up in the Directions drop down of maps. These were not in my contacts and I had not searched for them. From this I can only conclude that Maps scans your inbox and picks up addresses in signatures adding them to the directions drop down in case you want to look them.

I havent seen any mention of this "feature" nor does their appear to be a privacy option to control it.

In my previous post one of the respondents asked whether I might have clicked on an address accidentally. I have tested this since by deleting all directions history and shutting down maps.

I received an email, deleted it, so it doesn't reside anywhere.

I opened maps and sure enough that address had been added to the directions section.

I see why this might be a convenience to some, and I know the Apple apps have permissions to share information, but it is worrying to me that my inbox is scanned without my explicit permission and the information found is sent to another application and is obviously accessible in it.

Consider this an FYI.

I'm assuming you don't use Gmail? Because Google also scans your Gmail e-mails for advertising purposes without your consent also.

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
You made the same irrelevant point in my previous thread too Armen.

I have identified a specific issue between Apple apps that I was unaware of and seem to have no control over.

We all know Google are data mining d***s. This is not a thread about Google being data mining d***s.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

I have identified a specific issue between Apple apps that I was unaware of and seem to have no control over.

We all know Google are data mining d***s. This is not a thread about Google being data mining d***s.

I've never had what happened to you happen to me, but regardless, Apple apps have full ability and permission to share information with each other. It's local sharing and is not sent to Apple nor to 3rd party apps. They only need your permission to share information with 3rd party apps.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So does everyone actually see this beyond perhaps some anecdotal and possibly isolated occurrence?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
So does everyone actually see this beyond perhaps some anecdotal and possibly isolated occurrence?

Just tried it with two of my personal mail accounts...showed up twice (as I sent to two emails) and even said "from 'my name'" below it....I think it's an awesome feature...and again, is local only, so I'm not sure how they would get this info.

----------

Hmmm...works on my iPad, but not on my iPhone?

----------

Yep...iPad only for me...and when the email is deleted, the address is removed from the search field.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

it's not irrelevant, I don't know why you're angry at him.

data between native apple apps has always been shared. this is how you can insert a photo from your camera roll while using mail, etc. there's nothing unsafe about it because, as mentioned above, this data is not sent to apple over the internet. it's all local use, and it's always been this way. computers have been doing it for years and years and years.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Currently it doesn't seem to be transferred to Apples servers if you don't actually route to the address, as you can easily test with 2 iOS devices. However, given that Maps favorites are already shared via iCloud (without any options to disable it), I can understand concerns that information might leak out if syncing is extended sometime in the future. This is especially critical for people who use business email accounts on their devices where they may receive confidential contact information etc.

I first thought this feature was based on Spotlight search, but it even works if you exclude mail from the search. So apparently Apple Maps has direct access to the user's mailboxes (which, BTW, gives the app a competitive advantage over 3rd party apps like Google Maps).

They could add another toggle for Maps iCloud syncing

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
They could add another toggle for Maps iCloud syncing
Yes, I agree. There is no reason why Maps should be treated differently than, say, Safari in that regard. Also, they might want to consider a switch in the Privacy settings for controlling access to the user's mailboxes. After all, you can even block Maps from accessing your location if you want ...

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013

In the dropdown, under which category is the "odd address" listed? Bookmarks, Businesses, Addresses or something else?

Apple sources addresses from publicly available databases. An example of a specific address in the dropdown, and the search term that you typed in order to get it, would be useful.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
In the dropdown, under which category is the "odd address" listed? Bookmarks, Businesses, Addresses or something else?

Apple sources addresses from publicly available databases. An example of a specific address in the dropdown, and the search term that you typed in order to get it, would be useful.

That's it...he didn't type anything.

When you click on the search box it would normally bring up just previously searched items in the drop down...BEFORE you type anything in.

What happens now is that near the top of that list (in my case, always below "home") are addresses that may have been listed in the body of recently received/opened emails.

Really cool.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
That's it...he didn't type anything.

When you click on the search box it would normally bring up just previously searched items in the drop down...BEFORE you type anything in.

What happens now is that near the top of that list (in my case, always below "home") are addresses that may have been listed in the body of recently received/opened emails.

Really cool.

Doesn't happen for me.
Correction: It does, on iOS. I was checking on OS X Maps, which exhibits different behaviour.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It also scans messages. I sent myself a random address via message app and then started to type that address into maps.

Here is a cropped screen shot since I dont want to display my full name. But it says the address and from my name. Works the same if someone else messages you an address.

eqy6uju7.jpg

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Apple Maps scanning email inbox

If you delete the e-mail containing the address, it appears to zap it from the map suggestion.

Mine does not, at least with messages. This is easy to test.

Send yourself a full address.
Wait to receive it and view it.
Delete the message.
Open maps and start to type that same address.

Pops up every time for me saying (address) From (my name). Once it's in maps it's saved as a previous search too

----------

I don't necessarily dislike this. When someone sends me an address it's a convenient feature.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Delete the message.

Pops up every time for me saying (address) From (my name). Once it's in maps it's saved as a previous search too

----------

I don't necessarily dislike this. When someone sends me an address it's a convenient feature.
How are you sending yourself the address? From the device itself or somewhere else?

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013

Delete the message.

----------

Is the email with the address still present in your sent mail or has it been sent from a separate address not on you phone?

iWeekend

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Just updated to iOS 7 on phone. Yep, there on the Apple branded map was "recents" because of some christmas purchases (store address included in emails).

Any update on this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.