Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PollyK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
One thing I have no taste for are big bezels. I'm always looking at the screen when using my phone. So if a phone has big dated looking bezels, that's all I'll see all day. Big bezels are just Unacceptable these days. The way I see it, having a fingerprint scanner will insure a phone keeps the big bezels on the bottom. Would you want a fingerprint scanner at the cost of bigger bezels?
I guess putting it on the back like HTC is still an option.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I have a 5S and even though everyone else seems to have no troubles with it, I can only get it to work about half the time. Its nice to have but definitely would require it on a phone. I don't really lock my phone anyways so its more of an inconvenience than anything when it doesn't work

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have a 5S and even though everyone else seems to have no troubles with it, I can only get it to work about half the time. Its nice to have but definitely would require it on a phone. I don't really lock my phone anyways so its more of an inconvenience than anything when it doesn't work

Were you aware you can add multiple fingerprint profiles for the TouchID? I'm sure it's primary intention was to allow for use of different fingers but it would also provide additional information for a single finger--sort of the way you can add multiple photos (with hats, sunglasses, varying degrees of brightness) for the facial recognition unlock feature works on Android device.

----------

Not a deal breaking feature for me but I do like the added convenience. I personally wouldn't skip using some locking security on my phone and it's easier than using PIN/Password. I loved using trusted wifi/bluetooth as a mechanism to automatically skip lock screen security on my Android phones but it wasn't consistently reliable and if I didn't use my smart watch it wasn't nearly as useful.

I also am not distracted by the bezels on my phone--much more noticeable and distracting on my tablets.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
To me, it is a convenience, when it works.

However, I find it works only about 2/3 of the time. Fingers sweaty or even slightly damp, forget about it working. Touch ID is suppose to learn and improve, I'm not finding that to be the case.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I would LOVE a fp scanner. Just give me one that 1) works, and 2) works with ALL my passwords on my phone.

That's the problem with my 5s, the fp sensor is crappy. It doesn't work 3/4 of the time and it's very frustrating. Also I think Apple was short sighted when it didn't provide developers the opportunity to incorporate it into passwords and security for their apps and into Safari's password entry, forms, etc. How revolutionary would it have been to announce the end of passwords?!!?

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Yes b/c it opens up many more opportunities on an Android platform than in Apple's walled garden, especially in the form of mobile payments. As a developer, I can't wait!

Even though we criticize it now, fingerprint id simplifies the payment process, and when it becomes the standard we will look back and laugh at how we used to have to remember PINs, passwords, and write our signature to authorize transactions.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am not craving one, but it would be a welcomed addition. I hate logging into banking apps, etc. It would be nice to have security w/o entering a pass code.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I have one on my 5S, it's not the coolest thing ever, but I like it. It's convenient, saves a few seconds. Not something that I would die without obviously, but it's nice.

What I dont understand is people saying it works 2/3rds of the time. Mine has worked nearly every time, the only time it hasn't worked is a few times when my finger was at a weird angle and not properly contacting the ring. I think people are honestly just not able to figure out how to use it, which is weird because it's simple.

Even though many here (with Android phones) are saying they don't want one, best believe manufacturers will start putting them on flagship Androids. And yes, I know the 5S isn't the first smartphone to have a fingerprint sensor, but since the iPhone NOW has one, you KNOW Androids will follow suit.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I personally don't need a fingerprint scanner. I currently use pattern lock on my phone. I can unlock the phone rather quickly, so I don't see a significant improvement in speed, security or reliability with using a fingerprint scanner.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Were you aware you can add multiple fingerprint profiles for the TouchID? I'm sure it's primary intention was to allow for use of different fingers but it would also provide additional information for a single finger--sort of the way you can add multiple photos (with hats, sunglasses, varying degrees of brightness) for the facial recognition unlock feature works on Android device.

Yes I have it set up for both thumbs and index fingers, with multiple pictures of my right thumb and index finger. Like I said, I don't hear too many people complaining about it so maybe I have a bad unit. I'm not going to sweat it though, not a deal breaker either way and it doesn't effect the usage of the phone in any way. Thanks for the tip though!

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I do not put a password on my phone and if I did I would not want the trade off of lost screen space. I wonder if there would be a way for your thumbprint to be read through a special area on a touchscreen

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Sure.

I have it on my 5S, and I barely notice it's there because it's near instantaneous and seamless so the user experience is not impacted at all.

That's the only finger print scanner I think I could tolerate. One that makes its presence as invisible as possible. And the extra security doesn't hurt.

Last edited:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I don't want one and would not use one. If I were to buy an otherwise nice looking phone I'd hope it isn't an eye sore like the scanner on the HTC One Max. If it looked like the one on the 5S I wouldn't mind because I could pretend it isn't there.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
I liked the implementation of the scanner when I had the 5S. It was quick and easy to register my fingerprint and unlock my phone with it. The problem, however, is that it's only good for unlocking and authorizing purchases. If an Android manufacturer slapped a similar functioning fingerprint scanner onto a phone and opened it up to developers, well...that would be big.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
To the OP's point on bezels. The bezel to screen ratio is poor on the iPhone but that's mostly due to screen size.

For example the Note series has one of the best screen to bezel ratios because the screen is so large. However compare bezel area it's larger then the iPhones.

Put a bigger screen on the iPhone, problem solved.

As far as fingerprint scanners. It's a welcome addition for me however a case that offers more protection (covering the scanner) is more important. Be nice if it was in or behind the screen somehow.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Apple's fingerprint reader seems buggy, at least that's my experience and that of my friends who also bought new 5S model. But someone's got to suffer as Apple works out the bugs that they released it with.

I would not want it if I had a choice, but we all know that Apple prefers to control everything. It's made them very wealthy so I guess it's working. It looks like Google isn't going to make the mistake of adding this rather unreliable device.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
It kinda depends.

Actually just logging into the phone is pretty annoying on Android compared to iPhone.

I had the passcode lock set on 1 hour on my iPhone, and you can't really do that on Android.

Either it's on or off which seems a bit backward to me. Unless I'm completely wrong?

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
It kinda depends.

Actually just logging into the phone is pretty annoying on Android compared to iPhone.

I had the passcode lock set on 1 hour on my iPhone, and you can't really do that on Android.

Either it's on or off which seems a bit backward to me. Unless I'm completely wrong?

I can set upto 30 minute delay to the pass code on my Nexus 4.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I can set upto 30 minute delay to the pass code on my Nexus 4.

Ohhhh hang on.....

There is something that says "Lock instantly with power key" - if I uncheck that, does it mean once the screen naturally goes off, it takes 30 minutes (if I've chosen that) for the passcode to activate?

If not, I might just try out Delayed Lock...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It kinda depends.

That's kind of useless in the sense of this particular topic because Apple stupidly doesn't allow you to delay signing in if you use the fp sensor. I don't get that. If I could delay signing in with the fp sensor 30 minutes I'd be satisfied with it, even though it's hit or miss. Some day I'd like to be in a room with Apple execs and just ask "why?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.