Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jalinga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
This is my 1st ipad ever and in the past have owned several ipod models which only took me about 2 hours to fully charge them. I was charging my Ipad Air for the first time this morning and was surprised to see that after 2 hours of charging time, the battery was only about 57% full therefore it would mean that the Ipad Air would roughly take about 4 hours to fully charge.

I was wondering if there is any way to speed up the charging time.

I'd love to charge the device overnight and wake up to a fully charged ipad but since i generally sleep more than 4 hours, could you damage the battery if you leave it plugged in for several hours every day even when it's 100% charged?

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
One of my nightly rituals is to plug in every one of my devices to charge overnight. My phone, my iPad, my nano. Does it hurt the battery? I haven't had any issues and I've been doing this since about 2003 when I got my first phone and PDA.

I seem to remember that in the early days it wasn't recommended but back then the batteries were user-changeable so I never worried. Now, if I remember correctly it doesn't matter.

I just do it. I change out my devices quickly enough (2 years usually) that it's not been an issue.

Look, your tablet/phone is supposed to make your life easier. Fretting over whether you may damage the battery on something you probably won't keep more than 2-3 years is just asking for stress. If it really bothers you then put enough money away to pay for a new battery. If you never need one you can use it to purchase your new device.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
You can't expect a battery that's 8x the size to charge in the same amount of time. Leaving it to charger overnight won't damage it. Apple has really smart trickle charging.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Batteries these days are wiser than ever. They know not to "over-eat" and when they are charged you can basically just leave them plugged in all the time with no ill affects. Apple does recommend letting the battery get down to about 10% every once in a while but thats so the meter reading stays accurate and not for anything else.

basically, Mine gets charged overnioght for the most part but I have seen it quick charge back up after just a few hours of being plugged in and the battery at like 40%. So, Id say 3 hours to fully charge from being at 30% or thereabouts.

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
My iPad Air takes between 3 & 4 hours if I drain it to below 10%, normally closer to 3 then 4. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with the charge time of the Air!!!!!:rolleyes:

MLAM

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
United Kingdom
I think it's about 4 hours from completely flat.

To give you an idea it charged up to 53% just over 2 hours from flat when I checked it once.

A combination of the 12W charger and smaller battery has made charging times much less than before :)

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I own an ipad 2 and ipad mini-(obviously not exactly the same as an ipad air in terms of battery) but they do take a pretty long time to charge (probably about 2 times as much as an iphone) I normally just plug mine in over night or every other night since the batteries are so strong.

JUST SOME CHARGING/BATTERY TIPS-

Always charge your ipad (any ipad including the mini) using an apple 12W USB Power Adapter(the one that only comes with full sized iPads)-This will charge 2.2 times faster than the normal Apple 5W USB Power adapter that comes with iPhones and ipad minis.

Always charge your iPhone, Ipad or ipod with the 12W power adapter that comes with iPads because again-it will charge twice as fast.

If you keep auto-brightness turned on it will save battery by automatically changing the screen brightness when you walk into darker or brighter areas thus reducing the amount of energy used by your ipad.]

Turn off bluetooth when you aren't using it because bluetooth will be constantly searching for new bluetooth devices to pair with which takes up a lot of battery and BTW it will remember past devices when you tun i off

HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL

Derry

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Why does my ipad Air takes up to 6 hours to be fully charged?

Why does my ipad Air takes up to 6 hours to be fully charged?

AnthonyS621

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
It can take a while, mine takes around the 4 hour mark with a fully empty ipad, my phone(6+) can charge a full 100% in under an hour with an iPad charger its AMAZING

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I suppose you don't have an AppleCare+ then you have a right to worry about if it will hurt the battery but that is why Apple is offering AppleCare+ if they know the battery will or might not damaged overnight. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.