Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Hi all, I love and adore my iPad 4, but I'm looking to get a mini possibly. My only concern is that text just seems really small. For those who've used the big ipad and the mini, do you find yourself zooming in a lot on web pages or getting any eye strain from the small text?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Hi all, I love and adore my iPad 4, but I'm looking to get a mini possibly. My only concern is that text just seems really small. For those who've used the big ipad and the mini, do you find yourself zooming in a lot on web pages or getting any eye strain from the small text?

I did in my old mini. Expect to do the same with the rMini. A lot of pinch and zooming. But its not THAT bad.

=E=

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
.se
No. I think its working perfectly fine. I also have an iPad 3. But I prefer surfing the web with my mini. But, like with everything else, some might think its too small and some might love it like I do ;) Why not go to applestore and test it out, see if you like it?!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Why not go to applestore and test it out, see if you like it?!

^This.

"too small" is dependent on your preferences and the sites you surf. It's going to be just fine for some, too small for others. Gotta try it out yourself and see what you think with the sites you frequent.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
The Mini is excellent for web browsing IMO.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Honestly its not a big deal especially now.

csrini1

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Ipad4/Air are good for web browsing. you will be doing lot of pinch and zooming on mini.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Most of what I do on mine is surf. I think the Air is too big to surf comfortably, there's a ton of travel for your eyes. But that's me.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
The rMini is pretty good at web browsing, but the Air is better (for my eyes at least).

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I think it works great for web browsing! I zoom just as much as I did on my ipad three.

Kimcha

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
On the non retina mini surfing was annoying because many websites have small fonts, which looked fuzzy and unsharp on the mini. I had to zoom in quite a bit to get the text to be sharp and not necessarily because the font itself was too small.

From what I could tell in the apple store this shouldn't be a problem on the retina mini. You probably will still have to zoom in, but I don't think it's a problem.

Here is another tip:
- Create a folder named "Zoom" in your bookmarks favorites folder
- save the bookmark or this thread twice with the names "Font +" and "Font -"
- go to the bookmarks and edit font +. Replace the URL with:
PHP:
javascript:var%20p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i%3Cp.length;i++)%7Bif(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize)%7Bvar%20s=parseInt(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize.replace(%22px%22,%22%22));%7Delse%7Bvar%20s=12;%7Ds+=2;p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize=s+%22px%22%7D

- go to the bookmarks and edit font -. Replace the URL with:
PHP:
javascript:var%20p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i%3Cp.length;i++)%7Bif(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize)%7Bvar%20s=parseInt(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize.replace(%22px%22,%22%22));%7Delse%7Bvar%20s=12;%7Ds-=2;p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize=s+%22px%22%7D

This will allow you to increase and decrease the font sizes by tapping the zoom menu.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I have a retina iPad mini as of today, and prior to that, the 1st gen mini. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to zoom in on something. I love the thing for surfing. It's the perfect size for me. But you should go check them out in person, if possible!

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
My two cents: the retina mini is a spectacular screen and text is sharp. But text is quite tiny without zooming in. It's possible to browse with no problem, but if your eyes are at all sensitive you will likely have issues. I found myself zooming in quite a bit.

For just $100 more, I find the Air a more suitable device for browsing. It's not significantly heavier or bigger than the mini in my opinion and the larger screen is better for browsing.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
On the non retina mini surfing was annoying because many websites have small fonts, which looked fuzzy and unsharp on the mini. I had to zoom in quite a bit to get the text to be sharp and not necessarily because the font itself was too small.

From what I could tell in the apple store this shouldn't be a problem on the retina mini. You probably will still have to zoom in, but I don't think it's a problem.

Here is another tip:
PHP:
javascript:var%20p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i%3Cp.length;i++)%7Bif(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize)%7Bvar%20s=parseInt(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize.replace(%22px%22,%22%22));%7Delse%7Bvar%20s=12;%7Ds+=2;p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize=s+%22px%22%7D

PHP:
javascript:var%20p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i%3Cp.length;i++)%7Bif(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize)%7Bvar%20s=parseInt(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize.replace(%22px%22,%22%22));%7Delse%7Bvar%20s=12;%7Ds-=2;p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize=s+%22px%22%7D

This will allow you to increase and decrease the font sizes by tapping the zoom menu.

I actually used this trick on my iPad 3. It's absolutely wonderful on sites that have very small text. And some I visit don't zoom either.

It you were the original poster back several months ago then I thank you very much. I think you saved me several headaches and certainly allowed me to expand my knowledge (since I would have otherwise just skipped those sites).

Kimcha

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
I actually used this trick on my iPad 3. It's absolutely wonderful on sites that have very small text. And some I visit don't zoom either.

It you were the original poster back several months ago then I thank you very much. I think you saved me several headaches and certainly allowed me to expand my knowledge (since I would have otherwise just skipped those sites).

Yeah I agree. But I am not the original poster, just spreading the love. :)

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Today I was comparing the new R-mini to the Air and discovered that some sites don't allow zooming (pinching?) to make the text larger. This made it hard for me to read certain pages, like some articles on Yahoo, for example.

I gotta say that I'm quite fond of the physical size of the mini, though.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Today I was comparing the new R-mini to the Air and discovered that some sites don't allow zooming (pinching?) to make the text larger. This made it hard for me to read certain pages, like some articles on Yahoo, for example.

I gotta say that I'm quite fond of the physical size of the mini, though.

I found a lot of sites like that while I owned a Mini! The Mini is a great portable device, and I'm really on the fence about buying the retina Mini right now. The Best Buy down the street has every size and color in stock, and I'm afraid to go there. :D The Air has really given me the best of both worlds, so.... I dunno.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Why do people keep asking this? Is your phone too small for browsing? I browse on my phone all of the time, personally.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
In my opinion, the larger Ipads are a bit more convenient for web browsing. I sometimes have a little trouble hitting a control on a page on the mini, or need to enlarge text to read it. That said, for me the additional portability of the mini is worth the inconvenience in this regard.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Why do people keep asking this? Is your phone too small for browsing? I browse on my phone all of the time, personally.

The reason why it's easy to browse on a phone is because a lot of sites are optimized for phone usage.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Here is another tip:
PHP:

PHP:

Thank you so much. This is a real lifesaver. :eek:

Another suggestion is to use the reader feature whenever you can. I had an iPad 4 and an iPad air for a short time. The iPad air was better for web browsing but awkward to hold.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.