Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Nov 13, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Qaanol
macrumors 6502a

Mavericks bug with Preview scrolling

Running Mavericks, if I open a single-page PDF document in Preview and size the window to 822+ pixels tall (800+ viewable document area) then the vertical scroll bar disappears (I have it set to “always” show) and the normal two-finger scrolling does not work in the up-and-down direction.

I can still “flick” two fingers to scroll, and if I scroll at a diagonal angle it will work, but it won’t scroll normally up and down. Resizing the window to less than 822 pixels tall solves the problem, making the scroll bar reappear and the trackpad scroll gesture works properly.

Multi-page PDFs, as well as non-PDF files, scroll just fine. It is only single-page PDFs, and only when the window shows at least 800 vertical pixels of the document, that Preview stops vertical scrolling.

Does anyone else experience this?
Qaanol is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Brenex
macrumors newbie

Having the same problem, any word on this?
Brenex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Bruce0
macrumors newbie

Workaround summary: use a wireless mouse, still has some visual bugs but at least you can scroll.

Details:

Yes, this happens. But it is most destructive with a wired apple mouse wheel mouse.

It seems that if you view a PDF document and the window is smaller than the "actual" size (click actual size in menu) of the document, then scrolling works. If you zoom in the document, it still works. But if expand the window beyond the "actual size" of the document (even if you are viewing a zoomed small section of a high res file so that you can't see the whole document ) then three things happen.

1) The scroll bars disappear *(even if you have always show scroll bars). This is a bug.

2) Vertical scrolling stops working when you use the apple mouse wheel mouse. This is a bug. Vertical scrolling continues to work with the apple wireless mouse (supermouse?). However in both cases the scroll bars are missing and this is a bug.

3) Horizontal mouse wheel scrolling continues to work, but does not show scroll bars and this is a bug.

I will note that the "jerky" scroll that has been reported on the apple boards still exists in mavericks and seems to be a bit worse with the wireless mouse.
Bruce0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 06:41 AM   #4
Radioman
macrumors regular

Has there been any news on this? It is still broken as far as I can see.
Radioman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:20 PM   #5
UpdateAddict
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Has there been any news on this? It is still broken as far as I can see.
Not much we can do other than hope that 10.9.2 lands soon
UpdateAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:54 PM   #6
CLehnert
macrumors newbie

Not much I can do without owning a wireless mouse. I also don't use a trackpad. The only workaround I found is to reduce the window size, which usually will make the scrollbar appear.

Option + space will allow you to scroll by dragging with the "hand" tool. I used this often in Preview and can't believe it has been removed from the toolbar and only available by holding down a key combo. Does anyone know how to get this back in the toolbar? It's really disappointing to see Apple continually removing functionality that I use.

Not everyone owns or wants to own a trackpad or magic mouse!
CLehnert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)