Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Anyone see a way to log out of your account and in to another one with the new FB Messenger app released today? Can't find it anywhere (and it's not like there's a lot of places to look!).

Anyone :confused:

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
If you have the main Facebook app installed too, you can't log out. You need to sign out from the main Facebook app first.

Reason is the main app and messenger app intergrated themselves.

EFB

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
So what's the point of the app? If you already have Facebook signed in, you don't need it.

And what if you have 2 FB accounts? You can't have FB app signed into one, and Messenger into the other with the newest versions.....nor can you let someone check their account on your phone.

Stupidest update yet.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
If you have the main Facebook app installed too, you can't log out. You need to sign out from the main Facebook app first.

Reason is the main app and messenger app intergrated themselves.

That doesn't work... Can't sign out (from Messenger) at all.

I signed out on the Facebook app, but the new Messenger remains signed in.

I then signed in as a different user on the Facebook app, but the new Messenger remained signed in to the original account.

There is NO way that I can see to sign out of the new Messenger app. You can turn it off and make yourself not available, but there's no way to actually sign out of the app and log in under a different username -- even if you sign out from the Facebook app itself.

Frustrating. Very frustrating.

I submitted a "bug" report to them but I'm thinking it was set up this way by design. I'll may need to look to a different system for my purposes, unfortunately, if that's the case.

Even Google+ lets me log in/out as different users -- personal and business.

EFB

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
You are better than I am! Not only can I not sign in/out, I can't even figure out how to tell them!

Discobal

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
It is possible to log off, but it's very tedious!!!

Go to "Settings", then menu "Facebook Privacy", next you have to click on the menu-bar on the top left hand side which will reveal the facebook-menu. Scroll down to the bottom and log off.
I have experienced that you may want to refresh on the top right hand side and may have to close the app first before you are completely logged off.

As I said, very tedious and the opposite of user-friendly !!

Hope this helps!

Grtz,

Discobal

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
It is possible to log off, but it's very tedious!!!

Go to "Settings", then menu "Facebook Privacy", next you have to click on the menu-bar on the top left hand side which will reveal the facebook-menu. Scroll down to the bottom and log off.
I have experienced that you may want to refresh on the top right hand side and may have to close the app first before you are completely logged off.

As I said, very tedious and the opposite of user-friendly !!

Hope this helps!

Grtz,

Discobal

Where are you looking? Not on the new Messenger app we're all discussing, that's for sure.

Edit: I see what you're talking about... It's "Privacy & Terms" then the menu icon. Yes, very tedious. I'd be surprised if this is by design. Looks like a (fortunate) bug to me. But it does work.

Last edited:

rezagk

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2013
I found a solution for log out :D

1- In messenger app go to setting then click on "Privacy&Terms"
Picture --> 1.png
2- As you can see in picture 2.png click on menu
3- Then in button of menu click on "log out"
picture --> 3.png
4- Now, you logged out from your account, so close the app and run it again and log in with another account :D
Picture --> 4.png
:)

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    75.4 KB · Views: 29,291
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    123.2 KB · Views: 10,746
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    106.5 KB · Views: 6,173
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    80.9 KB · Views: 5,510

nilesh ubhare

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2013
Procedure to Log out from New Facebook Messenger app

If you are a android user its not require to uninstall messenger app. Just go to the setting-> More-> application. Then after
choose downloaded app option after it choose messenger app and the final step is select clear data this will automatically logout ur account... :)

try it..:)

ungabunga

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013
this menu bar you have does not exist

1- In messenger app go to setting then click on "Privacy&Terms"
Picture --> 1.png
2- As you can see in picture 2.png click on menu
3- Then in button of menu click on "log out"
picture --> 3.png
4- Now, you logged out from your account, so close the app and run it again and log in with another account :D
Picture --> 4.png
:)

that little menu bar does not exist on the app on my phone, i uninstalled the app since you can use the chat heads and fb app has messenger built into, pointless to have just the messenger now anyway since its all in one app now. big POS it be.

vivek164

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Anyone see a way to log out of your account and in to another one with the new FB Messenger app released today? Can't find it anywhere (and it's not like there's a lot of places to look!).

Answer : I know there is no option for logout in new FB messenger. One way for
logout is ===> Goto Manage Application in Setting. And Find FB
messenger And Click on "Clear Data" Option....This is
only way for logout

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Answer : I know there is no option for logout in new FB messenger. One way for
logout is ===> Goto Manage Application in Setting. And Find FB
messenger And Click on "Clear Data" Option....This is
only way for logout
Ummm, you realize we're discussing iOS, not Android, right?

mandandm

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2014
Yust go to http://www.facebook.com in ur browser, go right up for properties, click settings, choose security from the menu left, and click on end activity where it say messanger... unofficial way, complicated, not nice, but working

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yust go to http://www.facebook.com in ur browser, go right up for properties, click settings, choose security from the menu left, and click on end activity where it say messanger... unofficial way, complicated, not nice, but working
Alternatively, if you delete the app, then download/install it again, and launch it, you'll get a welcome screen asking you to to continue as the account you were signed in before (or the Facebook account associated with your phone), and at the bottom of the screen there's a link to "Switch Account" in light letters, if you tap on that you will be taken to a login screen, and that's more or less essentially the same as signing out--at least this was how it also functioned in the previous versions of the messenger app.

kdoe25

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2014

I have the same problem figured it out go into ur phone settings then applications click messenger clear data it will be logged out when done

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have the same problem figured it out go into ur phone settings then applications click messenger clear data it will be logged out when done
Where do you see this? Are we talking about iOS here or something else?

Thottie

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
I had the same problem, I managed ( on iOS , yes ) by first logging out on Facebook App, then automatically the FB Messenger App logged me out.

donar1

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
Here you go! It isn't simple, as a matter of fact it's stoopid

step 1 : go to the settings on your phone)
step 2: click on applicationss
step 3: select facebook messenger
step 4: click clear data

you will be logged out of facebook messenger

Next time you open FB Messenger you will have to log in. This will not effect the facebook app.:)

----------

Next time you open FB Messenger you will have to log in. This will not effect the facebook app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Next time you open FB Messenger you will have to log in. This will not effect the facebook app.:)

----------

Next time you open FB Messenger you will have to log in. This will not effect the facebook app.
What phone are you talking about here? :confused:

whouaxiong

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2014
Android User Only

1.Go to Phone "Settings"

2. Tap on "Apps"

3. Below Downloads, scroll down to "Messenger" tap on it.

4. Tap on "Clear Data" and tap "yes" after the pop-up

5. You're all set to re-login into your Facebook Messenger

-Cheers
http://whouaxiong.wakeupnow.com

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Android User Only

1.Go to Phone "Settings"

2. Tap on "Apps"

3. Below Downloads, scroll down to "Messenger" tap on it.

4. Tap on "Clear Data" and tap "yes" after the pop-up

5. You're all set to re-login into your Facebook Messenger

-Cheers
http://whouaxiong.wakeupnow.com
Why would people care about Android instructions on a forum for Apple devices?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.