Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Background: My 1TB HD failed on my late 2009 iMac (EMC 2374).

After looking at several options and the $$$ associated with each I have came to what I think is the best answer. I will replace the HD with a 256 GB SSD and let the excess reside on a firewire connected 3TB Seagate BackupPlus HD.

I however have several questions.

1. My 1TB HD that failed was over 500 gb filled. How can I restore from time machine with the new split drive setup I will have?

2. Will the firewire connected HD provide enough speed to hold archived photos, music, video, ect? If I decided to modify these files I could move them over to the SSD.

3. Will time machine still backup everything ok?

4. Is it to terribly difficult to manage file storage on two drives? Any tricks to make it easier?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
instead of restoring, you can always do a clean install of OSX and then connect to the backup to access your files, pulling the ones you want out of it.
it's not as seamless as a restore, but you can get things back.

make sure you cleanly disconnect from the back up, as i've had a time machine corrupt this way.

the firewire connected drive will be fast enough, USB2 has more than enough bandwidth to handle blu-rays (probably the highest bandwidth most people will currently have)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.