Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Got the mini tonight, turned it on and was kind of disappointed at the contrast ratio of the screen. It's basically the old screen, with 4x more pixels, but apple left the contrast in the kitchen. Anybody feeling the same?

painejake

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Birmingham, UK
I'm quite happy with it.

I did put a matt screen protector on it right out of the box though (helps prevent screen glare)

The icons do look a little fuzzy but I was just assuming it was the screen protector I put on.

S

syd430

Got the mini tonight, turned it on and was kind of disappointed at the contrast ratio of the screen. It's basically the old screen, with 4x more pixels, but apple left the contrast in the kitchen. Anybody feeling the same?

Nope. As far as I know, no one else has mentioned this issue here yet. :rolleyes:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I'm quite happy with it.

I did put a matt screen protector on it right out of the box though (helps prevent screen glare)

The icons do look a little fuzzy but I was just assuming it was the screen protector I put on.

Whats the point of a retina or any high resolution screen if you were to put a matt protector on???

A good cover case would erase the finger print once you fold it. Unless u afraid your fingernail could dent the thing.

painejake

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Whats the point of a retina or any high resolution screen if you were to put a matt protector on???

A good cover case would erase the finger print once you fold it. Unless u afraid your fingernail could dent the thing.

If you read my post before jump to the usual 'screen protector bashing' for me it helps prevent screen glare when using it on the train on bus.

How dare I do what I like with my iPad :rolleyes:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
If you read my post before jump to the usual 'screen protector bashing' for me it helps prevent screen glare when using it on the train on bus.

Cause it significantly cuts visibility and generally washes out the display. Having retina screen then putting on an antifingerprint protector is silly.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

Cause it significantly cuts visibility and generally washes out the display. Having retina screen then putting on an antifingerprint protector is silly.

Seems like he has a reason for it. I'm also willing to bet he bought it with his own money AND that it doesn't affect anyone else's experience of their iPad.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010

I actually prefer it over the iPad Air screen. It doesn't pop like the Air's screen but for long duration's is easier on the eyes.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

It is a significant disappointment. Ive decided to get the lte model. I will keep both for a year then decide which form factor i like more.

Ian0nline

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2013

I Agree
The bland color/contrast is as noticeable as it was on the first model.
It seems only slightly improved. Sharpness of the display is nice however.
Who knows why...gamut, production issues, or hardware limitations.
Disappointing though yep

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.