Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BygSii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
How to tell which screen your rMini has. Lg? Sharp? In the near future... Samsung?

I hear that the quality of the Sharp LCD screens are lower. https://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/0...ue-to-burn-in-issue-on-sharps-display-panels/

I hear that the Space Grey 16GB iPad Mini Retina has an LG screen. From the looks of the picture, LG screen is also yellowish/warmer in color. https://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/1...ni-reveals-a7-chip-lg-display-larger-battery/

I've also seen that the White iPad Mini 16GB retina has a washed out screen with a narrow field of color compared to the Black iPad Air. Couldn't find the link.

I wonder if Apple gets a screen shipment in, on that day, say LG; and if they are producing 64GB White iPad Mini with Retinas... that a big batch of them get produced that way, or if they are like "Blacks get the LG's! Whites get the Sharp!"

I ordered a 32GB White, because that is what I wanted. I should get it next week. I sold my black Mini, and the chamfered edges scratched too easily on the black, so that's why I switched.
Your thoughts on the iPad Mini Retina screen? Have a rMini yourself? How do you like the screen? Post your comments below.

Last edited:

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Can't wait for idiots to go into the Apple store asking for an LG screen and making them open 10 minis to find one.

BygSii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
There should be a way to check with the Serial number or through an app like Geekbench 3.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There should be a way to check with the Serial number or through an app like Geekbench 3.

Can you tell the display manufactorer now on the current iPads, or iPhones? I doubt there is a way.

I'd also not get worked up who made what, but rather be sure the iPad works as intended. Then relax and enjoy your iPad. If it does not work as intended then return it.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I suggest cracking open your iPad mini to confirm it's manufacture. You'll need an ice pick and a blow torch. Don't worry if you find a bad screen because your unit will be completely FUBAR.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
What color did you go with?

Space gray.

I tried getting photos to compare the Air and Mini but they just don't really turn out well to showcase the differences. It's not massive, but I feel like the Air has less fine detail on pictures when you get super close up and the Mini has more refined details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.