Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YouGoGlenCocoa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Hello everyone, i'm having a hard time finding good feedback on a cable modem that works well with the newest Airport extreme. I'm reading all kinds of horror stories. I was hoping someone may be able to chime in. My ISP is time warner but i know there are a few work-arounds as far as registering modems with them. If anyone can has any experience with this i'd greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you everyone!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you're reading horror stories because people don't post when their modem is working well.

i bought my own cable modem a year ago, just go to the time warner site, and check out their list of approved modems, and get one of those from the retailer of your choice.

you don't want a modem/router all in one. That may be some people's problem as they wind up with 2 routers inline.
otherwise, there's not much to go wrong with a modem.

YouGoGlenCocoa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Thanks, i'm tied up between the new AE 6th gen that looks amazing, i'd really like to pair that with a quality motorola modem. I'm just getting discouraged because online it seems like the AE has a lot of trouble connecting to all the motorola modems.

I'm also curious about the motorola 6782 which is a gateway but looks impressive and has fantastic reviews

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks, i'm tied up between the new AE 6th gen that looks amazing, i'd really like to pair that with a quality motorola modem. I'm just getting discouraged because online it seems like the AE has a lot of trouble connecting to all the motorola modems.

I'm also curious about the motorola 6782 which is a gateway but looks impressive and has fantastic reviews

I don't know what issues you are reading about with AE connecting to Motorola cable modems, but I have never had any issue at all with my Time Capsule(s) connecting and working just fine.

That 6782 is a cable modem with a wifi router built in. My preference is a separate cable modem with my own router (like the AE).

I am using the Motorola SB6141 with Time Warner and a Time Capsule. My new Time Capsule is essentially the same as the AE you are looking at just with a hard drive inside. The 6141 is a good choice because it can do up to eight DL and four UL DOCSIS channel bonding.

Whatever you buy, make sure it is on Time Warner's approved list here.

YouGoGlenCocoa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
I don't know what issues you are reading about with AE connecting to Motorola cable modems, but I have never had any issue at all with my Time Capsule(s) connecting and working just fine.

That 6782 is a cable modem with a wifi router built in. My preference is a separate cable modem with my own router (like the AE).

I am using the Motorola SB6141 with Time Warner and a Time Capsule. My new Time Capsule is essentially the same as the AE you are looking at just with a hard drive inside. The 6141 is a good choice because it can do up to eight DL and four UL DOCSIS channel bonding.

Whatever you buy, make sure it is on Time Warner's approved list here.

do you have the newest time capsule? if so that would put my mind to rest as to pairing with the moto 6141. i also have time warner.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
do you have the newest time capsule? if so that would put my mind to rest as to pairing with the moto 6141. i also have time warner.

Yep... I have the new tower shaped model. Never had any problems with the Moto 6141.

Just call TW and give them the Moto's MAC address and they will activate. Then plugin the AE and wait for it to boot up. Now unplug and then plug back in the modem and it will reboot and recognize the AE and you will be all set.

YouGoGlenCocoa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Yep... I have the new tower shaped model. Never had any problems with the Moto 6141.

Just call TW and give them the Moto's MAC address and they will activate. Then plugin the AE and wait for it to boot up. Now unplug and then plug back in the modem and it will reboot and recognize the AE and you will be all set.

you're a life saver man, surely appreciate it!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.