Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Notafanboyyet

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Bexley, London, England
I have just purchased a brand new 15" Retina Macbook Pro, I bought the high end model with the graphics card so that I could do some gaming via bootcamp, I'm interested in downloading ARMA 3 through Steam but I wanted to know if it is worth the purchase as I have heard the game is quite taxing and wanted to know if my Mac can run it at decent (mid-high) settings at around 30FPS, its £40 after all and I was just wondering what I can expect if I do purchase it

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
According to this, a 750M is about a third of a GTX 580, and this claims you'll get about 30 fps out of a 580 on high settings at 1920x1200, which I guess is much lower than Retina resolution.

That's something to go on, even if it isn't particularly scientific. I'd say you'll have to dial everything right back to get it running nicely on the MBP. Maybe you could torrent it and see if it works before buying.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Different game - he was talking about Arma 3, which runs like a dog on pretty much any hardware.

The minimum specs say it'll work on Intel HD4000, which I find hard to believe. Maybe if you run it in a window and turn everything down to 0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.