Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Has anyone gone from iPhone to a Moto X? Or have you jumped ship recently due to Moto Maker being available on all carriers? I just jumped ship from a 5s to a G2 which I returned because it wasn't all it was cracked up to be (mostly button wise on the Verizon model and camera quality), and I ordered a customized Verizon Moto X through Moto Maker on Monday and I just took delivery today. All I can say is wow...

This is the first Android phone that I've used that can truly give the iPhone a run for its money. Everything is SO smooth, even smoother than the G2 which its faster processor. This is how I'd imagine Android would've run if it had the iPhone's processor, but Motorola really knows what they're doing unlike Samsung and LG, it seems. Even though it's got an older processor it still flies. Similarly to what Apple does with the iPhone, Motorola has heavily optimized the Moto X to run Android very smoothly, and boy have they done a hell of a job. And after the camera update this thing takes great pics. The phone is similar to my 5s was in terms of size, but with a significantly larger display and much better in-hand feel. Can't say how battery life is since I've only had it for a few hours, but wow. Hats off to the guys over at Motorola.

Anyone else using a Moto X after coming from an iPhone?

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
Has anyone gone from iPhone to a Moto X? Or have you jumped ship recently due to Moto Maker being available on all carriers? I just jumped ship from a 5s to a G2 which I returned because it wasn't all it was cracked up to be (mostly button wise on the Verizon model and camera quality), and I ordered a customized Verizon Moto X through Moto Maker on Monday and I just took delivery today. All I can say is wow...

This is the first Android phone that I've used that can truly give the iPhone a run for its money. Everything is SO smooth, even smoother than the G2 which its faster processor. This is how I'd imagine Android would've run if it had the iPhone's processor, but Motorola really knows what they're doing unlike Samsung and LG, it seems. Even though it's got an older processor it still flies. Similarly to what Apple does with the iPhone, Motorola has heavily optimized the Moto X to run Android very smoothly, and boy have they done a hell of a job. And after the camera update this thing takes great pics. The phone is similar to my 5s was in terms of size, but with a significantly larger display and much better in-hand feel. Can't say how battery life is since I've only had it for a few hours, but wow. Hats off to the guys over at Motorola.

Anyone else using a Moto X after coming from an iPhone?

I will be switching tomorrow when my moto x comes in!

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I will be switching tomorrow when my moto x comes in!

Good choice man! How're you liking it so far? This is my second full day using mine and battery life so far is insane!

----------

appleofmy"i";18365604 said:
I'm on an iPhone 5 and getting ready to order a Moto X later this week.

What color combo are you going for? I went with black front, woven black back, and blue accents. The woven black feels amazing in the hand. I love the soft-touch layer that they put on top of it, it makes it very trippy while feeling amazing in the hand.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
After reading so many good things about the moto x I've got to go check it out in the store. It really sounds like a great phone.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
After reading so many good things about the moto x I've got to go check it out in the store. It really sounds like a great phone.

Honestly man, its the best Android phone out there. Screw the people who say it has crappy specs. I've used the iPhone 5s, Note 3, G2, and the S4. NONE of those phone's except for the Moto X can compare to the iPhone 5s in terms of smoothness, fluidity, and speed. All of those Android phones began to lag within a few days after being loaded with apps and games. The same cannot be said about the Moto X. I've got tons of apps on this and it continues to perform amazingly.

A lot of people, myself included, looked past it because of its "mid range" specs, but after just a couple days of ownership its clear that Motorola knew what they were doing. They've optimized Android to run amazingly on the Moto X. And this is all while maintaining amazing battery life.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Honestly man, its the best Android phone out there. Screw the people who say it has crappy specs. I've used the iPhone 5s, Note 3, G2, and the S4. NONE of those phone's except for the Moto X can compare to the iPhone 5s in terms of smoothness, fluidity, and speed. All of those Android phones began to lag within a few days after being loaded with apps and games. The same cannot be said about the Moto X. I've got tons of apps on this and it continues to perform amazingly.

A lot of people, myself included, looked past it because of its "mid range" specs, but after just a couple days of ownership its clear that Motorola knew what they were doing. They've optimized Android to run amazingly on the Moto X. And this is all while maintaining amazing battery life.

I have pretty much overlooked the X also. I haven't been impressed with the specs and I've never been a big Motorola fan after owning the original droid. Reading comments on here caught my eye so I've been reading a lot about the X and everything seems very positive about this phone. I'm going to swing by Verizon in a few days and check it out.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009

Can you take some pictures of the phone? You have the exact same color combo I want.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I have pretty much overlooked the X also. I haven't been impressed with the specs and I've never been a big Motorola fan after owning the original droid. Reading comments on here caught my eye so I've been reading a lot about the X and everything seems very positive about this phone. I'm going to swing by Verizon in a few days and check it out.

Yup, you were just like me. I owned one of the past Droids and wasn't impressed with anything about it. Within 3 months it was complete junk and I promised myself that I was done with Motorola phones. All of that has changed now that Google owns them, they really turned them around. The build quality of the Moto X is phenomenal and the performance and optimizations that have been done make a significant difference in terms of performance. I compared it to my cousins Nexus 5 and it was just as fast if not faster. For a phone with mid-range specs that's just insane, not to mention that that the Moto X kills the Nexus 5 in terms of battery life even though it has a smaller battery. I often get 10 or so more hours of life out of the Moto X with more screen-on time than than the Nexus 5, which is the primary reason why my cousin is returning it to get a Moto X. Google really turned Motorola around and IMHO they're the only Android manufacturer that I think can even compete with Apple in terms of user experience (speed, fluidity, and smoothness).

----------

Can you take some pictures of the phone? You have the exact same color combo I want.

Sure, I'll take some when I get home.

Edit: Here are the pics (damn do I love that iPhone 5s camera):
pquLr8Ll.jpg

nNg8tAxl.jpg

p7qhUX1l.jpg

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I havent had an iPhone for 3.5 years now but went to the Moto maker site to check it out. Yeah the MotoX doesnt have the specs the N5 has but i do like it. Im not one that has to have the best screen. My Yoga 11s doesnt have a HD screen but i like it just fine.

Anyways i chose the cement color on back, white on front,with royal blue accents and went to check out but..................since i have TMobile it was going to cost $549 so i didnt get it. I do wish the N5 had the voice command wake up from it being in sleep mode like the Moto X.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
The Moto X (along with the Nexus 5) I think are the only Android phones I would switch to, if I decided to ditch my iPhone.

Just for fun, I went on the site and built my own.

I built it with the black front, 'cement' colored back, and black metallic accents. Looked freaking awesome.

Hmm...I used to not be easily impressed by Android phones, but they are really making it hard for people to decide now. I like both platforms (I have a Nexus 7 for a tablet) so either OS is fine with me, but I love the iPhone's hardware. Android phones, hardware wise, are really catching up.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I really contemplated getting the moto x, but it was released just too close to the time of the n5. It still is priced high off contract and that really is the only way I'll be buying phones going forward. Specs mean nothing and the X is a beautiful phone with excellent added features. If I could get one for $450 or less off contract I would get it.

Motorola could have really made a splash the same way apple could have made a splash with the 5c priced lower.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I felt the same way with the Nexus 4 when I first got it. Battery life has always been fairly sub par but the performance is still as good if not better than it was when I got 11 months ago. Apps still load instantly and everything still runs smooth as butter, Very impressed. My desire for the Nexus 5 is shrinking.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I really contemplated getting the moto x, but it was released just too close to the time of the n5. It still is priced high off contract and that really is the only way I'll be buying phones going forward. Specs mean nothing and the X is a beautiful phone with excellent added features. If I could get one for $450 or less off contract I would get it.

Motorola could have really made a splash the same way apple could have made a splash with the 5c priced lower.

Its $450 off contract at Verizon. I am seriously considering one. If I like it, I would return my Note 3 and pocket $300

Hehe, I was able to get a Note 3 during that Amazon glitch earlier in the month for $299 off-contract. Sold it for $600 and bought me a Moto X. Woot! :) Best decision I've ever made.

I felt the same way with the Nexus 4 when I first got it. Battery life has always been fairly sub par but the performance is still as good if not better than it was when I got 11 months ago. Apps still load instantly and everything still runs smooth as butter, Very impressed. My desire for the Nexus 5 is shrinking.

All I'm gonna say is that I let my cousin use my Moto X for a whole day as his personal device (he just got a Nexus 5 and complains of poor battery life) and he is now selling his Nexus 5 to get a Moto X. Battery life was much, much, much better from what he said and the performance is the exact same as his N5. He's in love with the Moto X and really likes the Touchless Controls and Active Display. Don't let these "midrange" specs fool any of you. ;)

Last edited:

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
Good choice man! How're you liking it so far? This is my second full day using mine and battery life so far is insane!

----------

yeah im getting such bad battery life I had to switch back to the 5s....idk why but its just god awful! Like 19minutes of screen time on the lowest setting and im at 80%?

thats with the touchless controls off and on battery saver mode

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I'm going by Verizon Friday or Saturday to check out the Moto X and hopefully the Lumia 929. Hopefully there will be a nice Black Friday off contract deal on some phones.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm going by Verizon Friday or Saturday to check out the Moto X and hopefully the Lumia 929. Hopefully there will be a nice Black Friday off contract deal on some phones.

Good call. Motorola is soak testing an update (read: KitKat!!) for Verizon Moto X's tonight. Based on past updates, that means KitKat should be released to all Verizon Moto X's in a week or so with the other carriers following suit. Amazing that they were able to get a build of KitKat ready and out the door for Verizon in under 3 weeks.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Played with it today and maybe it's because I've already gotten used to the note 3 but it's just far too small. Feels like an iPhone 5s. The display is also very sub par. It is very fast however but I actually like the software in the note 3, tons of ways to customize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.