Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkeruski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
My local Best Buy has an assortment of wifi only Retina Minis in stock. Just curious whether anyone has come across any LTE models at a Best Buy? Unfortunately, don't live near an Apple Store.

oops1975

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Frisco, TX
No, mine doesn't have the LTE models either, only wifi.

I got the wifi version yesterday from BB but thinking of returning it and getting LTE version. I went by BB this afternoon and the guy said that they are going to get some either on this Friday or next. He wasn't really sure. On BB website, it says "Coming Soon" for all LTE models.

funkeruski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
I've gone ahead and ordered on apple.com, but will keep an eye on BB's inventory.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
Stopped by one of my local Best Buy stores today and they had one wifi rMini on display but no rMini's available to purchase. At this point, none of my local Best Buy stores or Apple store seem to have received a single Verizon rMini... wondering if Apple just decided to skip this area with LTE units...

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
I'd like to order mine off the Apple website, but I have $400 in Best Buy gift cards I planned to use, so I'm going to just have to sit tight.

It appears that no third-party retailers have any of the cellular versions of the iPad Mini with Retina. Just out of curiosity, I checked Verizon's website and Wal-Mart. Verizon lists a ship-by date of Dec. 2 and Wal-Mart simply states that it's out of stock online.

On Best Buy's website, all of the cellular versions are listed as "coming soon."

If you really want a cellular iPad Mini Retina as soon as possible, it seems going directly to Apple is the only way right now.

If you're married to the notion of purchasing one from Best Buy, the best strategy seems to be to keep checking the website to see if the status changes from "coming soon" to "in store only" or whatever that reveals Best Buy is starting to get them in. Then it becomes a matter of seeing whether your local store has your specific unit in stock.

Though I realize that the Mini Retina is in short supply overall, I wonder why the cellular versions are almost non-existent at third-party retailers? Are the cellular chips in such short supply? It doesn't seem to be as big an issue with the iPad Airs with cellular. Or is it a combination of that along with supposed poor screen yields for the device?

I'm not sure what's worse -- wondering when third-party retailers will actually start stocking the device or trying to find one after availability's been announced.

I know, I know ... first-world problems.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
anyone have any luck at finding a lte retina mini at best buy yet? website still says coming soon.

oops1975

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Frisco, TX
I have been calling different BB stores almost every day. One store told me that they should get them in 3 weeks or so.

Luckily, I found one at Apple store today. Will pick up in the evening and return my wifi only to BB.

darkknight11

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
I'd like to order mine off the Apple website, but I have $400 in Best Buy gift cards I planned to use, so I'm going to just have to sit tight.

It appears that no third-party retailers have any of the cellular versions of the iPad Mini with Retina. Just out of curiosity, I checked Verizon's website and Wal-Mart. Verizon lists a ship-by date of Dec. 2 and Wal-Mart simply states that it's out of stock online.

On Best Buy's website, all of the cellular versions are listed as "coming soon."

If you really want a cellular iPad Mini Retina as soon as possible, it seems going directly to Apple is the only way right now.

If you're married to the notion of purchasing one from Best Buy, the best strategy seems to be to keep checking the website to see if the status changes from "coming soon" to "in store only" or whatever that reveals Best Buy is starting to get them in. Then it becomes a matter of seeing whether your local store has your specific unit in stock.

Though I realize that the Mini Retina is in short supply overall, I wonder why the cellular versions are almost non-existent at third-party retailers? Are the cellular chips in such short supply? It doesn't seem to be as big an issue with the iPad Airs with cellular. Or is it a combination of that along with supposed poor screen yields for the device?

I'm not sure what's worse -- wondering when third-party retailers will actually start stocking the device or trying to find one after availability's been announced.

I know, I know ... first-world problems.

I have $550 in BB gc's that I want to use up....so hoping for LTE in stock soon! I hope they are not holding back for Black Friday!

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
I have been calling different BB stores almost every day. One store told me that they should get them in 3 weeks or so.

Luckily, I found one at Apple store today. Will pick up in the evening and return my wifi only to BB.

To be honest, I don't think anyone who works in the store really knows when the LTE models will come in, so I'd take anything said at the store beyond actual on-hand inventory with a grain of salt.

I wonder if Apple is trying to build up a critical mass of LTE models before releasing them to third-party retailers like Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc.

I would think Apple would like to make sure these retailers have something, no matter how little, in time for Black Friday.

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Popped in my local Best Buy last night for something else, but I figured I'd ask about LTE Mini Retinas. I was told by the in-store Apple rep that they got two in around launch time, but none since.

The BB website still shows LTE versions as "coming soon."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.