Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enkrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
My rMini screen doesn't look washout. Maybe there's something wrong with my eyes. I don't have an iPad Air to compare directly so I compare it to several pictures of the iPad Air posted this forum.

So tell me, does the screen of my rMini look wash-out or under-saturated or am I just lucky?

My rMini pic 1:
IMG_5413.JPG

My rMini pic 2:
IMG_5415.JPG

Afluffykitten iPad Air and rMini from https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1671877/
image.jpg

enkrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Your screen looks gorgeous. You are the second luckiest iPad customer on the planet. Enjoy you new iPad! ;)

If I am lucky then could it be that Apple didn't gimp the rMini intentionally? Maybe there are problem with certain batch of display from Sharp/LG?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
If I am lucky then could it be that Apple didn't gimp the rMini intentionally? Maybe there are problem with certain batch of display from Sharp/LG?

It is more likely that there is a significant variance in perspectives and expectations amongst Macrumors posters, and two posters can look at the exact same screen and come to opposite conclusions.

At the end of the day, none of that matters. The only person's opinion that matters is yours. If you like it, that's all that matters. Other people's opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one and most are smelly. (The saying doesn't use belly buttons, it uses another body part, but you get the idea).

Enjoy your gorgeous iPad. It's almost as nice looking as mine... :p

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
You would need to compare a pic of your iPad mini with a pic of another iPad mini using the exact same image in order to see whether you have a better screen.

However, if you don't have an iPad air and your iPad mini looks good to your eyes why go looking for trouble?

enkrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
You would need to compare a pic of your iPad mini with a pic of another iPad mini using the exact same image in order to see whether you have a better screen.

However, if you don't have an iPad air and your iPad mini looks good to your eyes why go looking for trouble?

I am not looking for trouble. I will keep my rMini even it's less saturated than the Air. I am just curious why my screen looks different than most rMini pictures posted on this forum the last few days.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Mine looks as beautiful as yours. Sometimes you need to turn off the noise created here in every release. Unless you find an obvious defect and want to see if a larger group here have the same, then once you confirm yours is good, tune this site out and be happy with your purchase.

S

syd430

You can't compare using different pictures from various sources like this. Different cameras, different lighting conditions, lead to different sataruation levels of photos. We either need to see your ipad in person or you need to take a comparison shot with the ipad 3,4,Air, mini in the same room with the same brightness setting.

Just looking at your two photos though, it looks pretty washed out to me. :confused:

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Your Mini looks 100% to me! based on your pics. Enjoy! :)

P.S. I was going to buy a retina Mini tonight, but didn't based on AFluffyKitten's pics. I should have seen your pics first.......

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I am not looking for trouble. I will keep my rMini even it's less saturated than the Air. I am just curious why my screen looks different than most rMini pictures posted on this forum the last few days.

No way to make a true comparison using posted pics. Too many variables to consider. But for what's it's worth on my rMBP the colors on Afluffykitten's ipad mini look noticeably deeper than yours. That could be because of different brightness settings though.

enkrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
No way to make a true comparison using posted pics. Too many variables to consider. But for what's it's worth on my rMBP the colors on Afluffykitten's ipad mini look noticeably deeper than yours. That could be because of different brightness settings though.

Thanks, I will bring it into the Apple store and compare them side by side tomorrow.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks, I will bring it into the Apple store and compare them side by side tomorrow.

Seems a little odd that you are try to look for an issue that you obviously can't tell you have. The minis have a more natural less saturated look. If you comapair it to the air you will see a color difference. The mini is like having your tv color set to 40 (that's how I set my TVs color settings) vs having it set to 60-70.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
It is more likely that there is a significant variance in perspectives and expectations amongst Macrumors posters, and two posters can look at the exact same screen and come to opposite conclusions.

At the end of the day, none of that matters. The only person's opinion that matters is yours. If you like it, that's all that matters. Other people's opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one and most are smelly. (The saying doesn't use belly buttons, it uses another body part, but you get the idea).

Enjoy your gorgeous iPad. It's almost as nice looking as mine... :p

Who are you bringing logic and reason into this forum? Somebody please call a moderator. :)

PS. My rMini screen is better than both of yours!

S

syd430

I agree. This whole thread is a complete waste of space. All rMini's are less saturated than Air's. Of course, I can't know this as fact, but so far there has been nothing to suggest otherwise.

There is nothing in OP's picture that suggests that the screen has similar saturation levels as the Air. Nothing. The OP could of just posted this in the existing long threads, but decided to make a new thread just to get more attention and added nothing new.

OP, stop living in denial and either accept that your rMini's screen is different to the Air's (whether it's better or worse is a whole other debate), or swap it for an Air if it's bothering you, or get a refund.

You're wasting people's time on here by misleading them in to thinking that some Mini's are magically more saturated (sparking a lot of unnecessary exchanges), you're going to be wasting the employee's time in the store, and equally, you are wasting your own time.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Not sure how many are comparing their iPad screens to properly calibrated laptops/desktops, but my new rMini LTE is surprisingly close to both my calibrated 13" rMBP and calibrated iMac. I'd feel comfortable using it for photo editing while traveling. YMMV.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Seriously OP, think about what you're asking here. What if 10 people say it looks great and 10 say it looks dull? What then?

And what good is it comparing to another iPad in the Apple store? They do not sell display units. So if you exchange it, you might get a better one; you might get the same one; you might get a worse one.

Posting pictures and asking what people think of the color is a waste of your time and ours. Sorry.

If you don't like it, exchange it. Good luck is the best you can hope for and the best anyone can offer.

S

syd430

If you don't like it, exchange it. Good luck is the best you can hope for and the best anyone can offer.

The display has an inherently smaller colour gamut, from what i've read it looks like it's around 60% sRGB:

http://tablets.reviewed.com/content/ipad-mini-with-retina-display-tablet-review/the-science
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/12/5097886/rmini-washed-out-screen

Exchanging the device isn't going to do anything for the OP unless he/she is also bothered by the tint.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I just find it funny that people make threads asking a group of extremely nit-picky OCD people to reassure them that their device is acceptable.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Brightness turned higher on the rMINI then snap a pic next to lower brightness on an air and there you go. Another antenna gate. There is nothing wrong with the screen. The only difference is that the rMINI has a higher PPI and is $100 cheaper.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The display has an inherently smaller colour gamut, from what i've read it looks like it's around 60% sRGB:

http://tablets.reviewed.com/content/ipad-mini-with-retina-display-tablet-review/the-science
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/12/5097886/rmini-washed-out-screen

Exchanging the device isn't going to do anything for the OP unless he/she is also bothered by the tint.

I think it's too early to say whether every panel vendor is delivering the exact same gamut spec'd panel to Apple. iFixit called theirs an LG. But who has ID'd a Sharp panel? How do we know what it looks like? What if the entire first batch is all LG? Or what if North America got LG panels and Europe got Sharps? And what of Samsung? We don't know if they signed on or not, and if they signed on, whether they've produced any yet or not.

----------

Brightness turned higher on the rMINI then snap a pic next to lower brightness on an air and there you go. Another antenna gate. There is nothing wrong with the screen. The only difference is that the rMINI has a higher PPI and is $100 cheaper.

Antennagate is a bad analogy. It was not a matter of preference or perception. It was an unintentionally flawed design. Apple doesn't publicly make amends for matters of preference or perception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.