Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Nov 14, 2013, 07:41 PM   #1
elgrecomac
macrumors 65816

WD MyBookLive TimeMachine Backup Fix

After a couple of weeks of frustration about OSX 10.9 not allowing me to use my WD MybookLive NAS for TimeMachine backups I said " Phoque it. I'll reinitialize the drive and start from scratch". (Luckily I have a full backup of this drive's non-TimeMachine content backed up on another drive). So I...
* Did a factory reset of the drive.
* Made sure the NAS has current firmware loaded.
* Gave the WD MyBookLive NAS drive a new name
* Recreated all of the users (8 users/devices)
* Went into TimeMachine and pointed it to the TimeMAchine Backup folder on the NAS

And Voilà! TimeMachine now works with the WD's MyBookLive NAS. Yes, it was a pain in the azz and now, in addition to having TM run a complete system backup totaling 500Gb, I need to load 1.3 TB of media onto the NAS as well and that is going to take a LONG time.

The sad thing is that I had to do this in the first place. Not sure where blame lies, Apple or WD, but at least I will soon be fully backuped again.

BTW....why did Apple get rid of the spinning TM icon? I liked it and so did many others.
elgrecomac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:23 PM   #2
whsbuss
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgrecomac View Post
After a couple of weeks of frustration about OSX 10.9 not allowing me to use my WD MybookLive NAS for TimeMachine backups I said " Phoque it. I'll reinitialize the drive and start from scratch". (Luckily I have a full backup of this drive's non-TimeMachine content backed up on another drive). So I...
* Did a factory reset of the drive.
* Made sure the NAS has current firmware loaded.
* Gave the WD MyBookLive NAS drive a new name
* Recreated all of the users (8 users/devices)
* Went into TimeMachine and pointed it to the TimeMAchine Backup folder on the NAS

And Voilà! TimeMachine now works with the WD's MyBookLive NAS. Yes, it was a pain in the azz and now, in addition to having TM run a complete system backup totaling 500Gb, I need to load 1.3 TB of media onto the NAS as well and that is going to take a LONG time.

The sad thing is that I had to do this in the first place. Not sure where blame lies, Apple or WD, but at least I will soon be fully backuped again.

BTW....why did Apple get rid of the spinning TM icon? I liked it and so did many others.
I've had no problems with my MyBookLive and Mavericks. I updated to the latest WD firmware before I ran Time Machine and it works fine. However I did have to delete my pre-Mavericks backup and start a fresh one. But since then its been fine. Strange as you are not the first to report problems.

Hoping Apple restores the spinning ™ icon
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:27 AM   #3
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Isn't it WD that's having so much trouble with their add on software running under Mavericks?

I bought a couple of WD drives before I upgraded to Mavericks. Fortunately I didn't install any of their "software" junk.
old-wiz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 08:42 AM   #4
whsbuss
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
Isn't it WD that's having so much trouble with their add on software running under Mavericks?

I bought a couple of WD drives before I upgraded to Mavericks. Fortunately I didn't install any of their "software" junk.
I believe so. I never install 3rd party stuff unless its absolutely needed. Also reading thru the WD forums there are reports of Norton and McAfee anti-virus software causing time machine problems.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 09:20 AM   #5
edmondchui
macrumors newbie

I resolve the issue by simply reboot WD My Book Live.
edmondchui is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)