Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halledise

macrumors 68000
Original poster
my wife just took delivery of a brand new 13" MBAir purchased direct from AppleStore Online (Australia) and upon startup it has only Mountain Lion and old iWork, iLife, etc and not 10.9 Mavericks + associated new iPhoto, iWork.

when queried, Apple said no it's not old stock but new Macs do not come with Mavericks as many people prefer ML.
I can download all for free.
I responded, that's not the point especially if I'm at my bandwidth limit until next month.
in all my years of buying Macs, I've never come across this before, especial when a new OS has been out for a month.
I reckon they've given me 'old' stock

is this normal or are they trying to pull the wool over me??

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
As far as i know it is normal. My macs have always come with the version of OS X that they were released with.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
BS excuse. It's old stock.

Maybe it's not "old" for the Apple Store staff since they've received it recently, but shipping from China can be pretty long and it may have stayed in a warehouse for a little while before.

I think it's reasonable to not expect them to have their newest OS on all models sold within a month after its release, but that excuse is a bit insulting. There's nothing wrong in admitting "I don't know". You can be sure all new Macs will come with Mavericks preinstalled in a little while.

halledise

macrumors 68000
Original poster
rechecked Apple Store - new machines advertised as coming with Mavericks and all the new apps.
called again and got a different consultant.
He offered to exchange or alternatively $100 refund on purchase.
took the latter and will d'load Mav and associated software myself.

apparently this Mac was manufactured in Szechuan (?) on 9 November, shipped to Syd and then purchased by me on the 14th, delivered on 15th.
super slick supply chain! - but feedback from me and quite a few others will cause Apple to go to manufacturing plant and correct the error.

ends well :)

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Glad it ended well (with Apple coming through), but this wasn't an "error". I understand your point, but there is bound to be transition like this when you have a shift from one OSX version to another in the middle of a production schedule.

For 99.9% of people, who aren't paying for internet service with hard caps, the resolution would have been much simpler than all the posting and calling you did - simply download and install the free, new stuff.

Once again, glad it worked out for you in the end.

yliu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Other than an older version of the OS, there's nothing 'old' about it...
As far as I know, Apple had not made any revisions of the Haswell MBA since it's June release.

It might be inconvenient to upgrade the OS straight out of the box, but you are not geeing ripped off in my opinion.

mbdownunder

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
He offered to exchange or alternatively $100 refund on purchase.
took the latter and will d'load Mav and associated software myself.

Personally, I think Apple is too generous sometimes. $100 refund just because you had to download and install some software updates? Yes, the online store advertises Mavericks, but it also says:

"If you buy a new Mac that does not come preloaded with OS X Mavericks, Pages, Numbers and Keynote, please visit the following links to learn how to get them for free"

So the possibility of this scenario was presented to you. Anyway, Apple is a big company and it's a win for you, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

halledise

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Personally, I think Apple is too generous sometimes. $100 refund just because you had to download and install some software updates? Yes, the online store advertises Mavericks, but it also says:

"If you buy a new Mac that does not come preloaded with OS X Mavericks, Pages, Numbers and Keynote, please visit the following links to learn how to get them for free"

So the possibility of this scenario was presented to you. Anyway, Apple is a big company and it's a win for you, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

when one's reached the bandwidth limit for the month and ISP charges $10 per excess GB, then to download 5.6GB Mavericks, 1.2GB iPhoto, iMovie and new iWork, it becomes a rather expensive exercise.

you quote correctly, yet the specs for new Macs across the board in the Store declares that these machines come preloaded with Mavericks and associated software.
for Macs manufactured pre- or near to Mavericks release date, I can understand but for a Mac made just last week when Mavericks was released the best part of a month ago … …

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
when one's reached the bandwidth limit for the month and ISP charges $10 per excess GB, then to download 5.6GB Mavericks, 1.2GB iPhoto, iMovie and new iWork, it becomes a rather expensive exercise.

Um, you couldn't bear to wait a couple of weeks? :rolleyes:

There really aren't any must have features in MV (one of the reasons it's free). If you had done your research, you'd have come to this conclusion yourself and spared yourself getting hot under the collar. Good for you that you scored a $100 "appeasement credit" for your troubles. I think the whole thing is silly.

halledise

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Um, you couldn't bear to wait a couple of weeks? :rolleyes:

There really aren't any must have features in MV (one of the reasons it's free). If you had done your research, you'd have come to this conclusion yourself and spared yourself getting hot under the collar. Good for you that you scored a $100 "appeasement credit" for your troubles. I think the whole thing is silly.

well, amen.
200 new features apparently.

and by the way, I didn't get hot under the collar, I just called Apple with a legitimate concern and they addressed it.
you may think 'the whole thing silly' and I guess I'm entitled to your opinion.

in 18 years of purchasing and owning Macs, this was the first time I've ever come across this issue.
to me, it borders on false advertising, with the only rider begin that Mavericks and associated software is a free update if your Mac doesn't come with it.
I repeat - according to the consultant that this Air was assembled on 9 November and he was surprised that it didn't come pre-loaded because according to his info with that serial number, it is listed as having Mavericks, etc, pre-installed as well as new iWork, iLife, etc.

anyway, it's all solved and I'll update when my bandwidth ticks over to the new month - not all of us have super high speed broadband with unlimited downloads.
beyond that, my wife is very happy to have a $100 discount on her new Air.
perhaps others in the same position can receive the same - a public service to Mac buyers, etc ;)

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I, for one, am pleased that my new 2013 MBA came with ML. My week of experience with Mavericks (on a MBP) was less than stellar, some network glitches which disappeared when I restored ML.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Take it back, wait a month, and try again. Takes a while for old stock to clear out.

qawsed

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
Take it back, wait a month, and try again. Takes a while for old stock to clear out.

Why on earth would you do this when it's exactly the same computer you'll get in a month except it will have Mavericks on it instead of a free update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.