Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErraticFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Would it be possible to do this? I remember I was able to plug my iPod up to my computer and use this program (can't remember the name) and make the battery percentage and something else pop up by changing a couple of lines of a file...

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
You can peruse the file system with it, and get yourself into plenty of trouble even, if you like.

ErraticFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
To get the battery toggle and "something else pop up" a jailbreak is needed. Exactly what I said in detailing your questions.

I don't need to jailbreak to do battery because I did it without a jailbreak just now....

ErraticFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Read what I wrote "battery toggle". That requires a jailbreak.

If by "battery toggle" you mean battery percentage, you're wrong. Otherwise, I don't know what you mean by "battery toggle" nor did I ask about it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If by "battery toggle" you mean battery percentage, you're wrong. Otherwise, I don't know what you mean by "battery toggle" nor did I ask about it.

That is not what I mean by battery toggle. On the iPhone under General>Usage there is a switch (a toggle) that is labeled "Battery Percentage". To get that switch to show up, a jailbreak is required due to how the switch checks for certain Boolean values.

Espeonia

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
That is not what I mean by battery toggle. On the iPhone under General>Usage there is a switch (a toggle) that is labeled "Battery Percentage". To get that switch to show up, a jailbreak is required due to how the switch checks for certain Boolean values.

Oooor you can just change a plist value so you get the percentage anyway. I've been doing this on my iPod since iOS 5.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Oooor you can just change a plist value so you get the percentage anyway. I've been doing this on my iPod since iOS 5.

Read my posts. I'm specifying the toggle. Nothing else. Some people would much rather have the ability to turn it off and on without have to restore their iPod from a backup every time.

ErraticFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Read my posts. I'm specifying the toggle. Nothing else. Some people would much rather have the ability to turn it off and on without have to restore their iPod from a backup every time.
Or you could just Chang the Boolean again.

Espeonia

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013

Most people just enable it and leave it on. There's really no reason to disable it, since it's not like the iPod has tons of status bar items.

Espeonia

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
And then restore your iPod. That's a lot of work and time for people who have lots of apps and media on their iPod.

If you use something like iBackupBot, it restores just the one file. It's a tucked-away feature in the iOS device-pc protocol.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If you use something like iBackupBot, it restores just the one file. It's a tucked-away feature in the iOS device-pc protocol.

Because of how the iOS restore mechanism works, it doesn't restore just one file. It restores many files and can take a very long time depending how the end user configures their device.

Espeonia

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
Because of how the iOS restore mechanism works, it doesn't restore just one file. It restores many files and can take a very long time depending how the end user configures their device.

Have you actually ever used it?
Because I have, and I did so as recently as yesterday.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Have you actually ever used it?
Because I have, and I did so as recently as yesterday.

Oh yes I've used it. And the process of restoring from the backup took about 30 minutes. Not everyone has the same setup as your iPod or as little data on it as you might.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.