Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
Yes. This is what pushed me over the edge and helped make my choice clear.

iPad Air ordered and hopefully will take delivery tomorrow or Monday.

Looking forward to going back to the larger screen, but will definitely miss the mini form factor.

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
What screen issues?

While the iPad mini impresses across the board, it does have one major flaw: color reproduction. We had hoped the mini would inherit all the strengths of its big brother iPad Air, including its ability to produce an impeccable color gamut. Unfortunately, the mini is simply incapable of the same efficacy. Wildly undersaturated reds and absurdly skewed blues promise to make an alien experience of your favorite photos and movies.

-By christhomas@reviewed.com

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Not me. I have no noticible screen issues and I love my Air just as MOST Air owners do.

You can never make everyone happy! The whiners will always whine!:p

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
While the iPad mini impresses across the board, it does have one major flaw: color reproduction. We had hoped the mini would inherit all the strengths of its big brother iPad Air, including its ability to produce an impeccable color gamut. Unfortunately, the mini is simply incapable of the same efficacy. Wildly undersaturated reds and absurdly skewed blues promise to make an alien experience of your favorite photos and movies.

An alien experience? Haha
I'm sure if these things ever get jail broken there will be a tweak for that.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

How did cnet and the Verge not notice this? cnet gave mini editors choice rating and the Verge rated it the same as the Air - 9.3/10.

When the iPad 2 and the first mini were released did people complain about color gamut and washed out screens? I have family and friends who own the first mini and never once have they complained about the screen being washed out.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
How did cnet and the Verge not notice this? cnet gave mini editors choice rating and the Verge rated it the same as the Air - 9.3/10.

When the iPad 2 and the first mini were released did people complain about color gamut and washed out screens? I have family and friends who own the first mini and never once have they complained about the screen being washed out.

Its a problem with all small tablets including the nexus 7 and others with retina class screens have the washed out look when compares with their 10 brothers.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Its a problem with all small tablets including the nexus 7 and others with retina class screens have the washed out look when compares with their 10 brothers.

No only retina mini has this problem. Look at the reviews comparing the 2013 nexus 7 and rMini, its very obvious there.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
Unfortunately, yes.

I will use my iPad in my photography business so a poor screen is an insurmountable issue for me, however I am reserving final judgment until I have the Mini in hand.

I picked up 16gb Air yesterday from Target and was surprised it was so light, so if the Mini screen is not up to par, then I will return the Air for 32gb Verizon LTE without much penalty in weight.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I'm leaning towards the Air for the common reasons. Color (If you see the difference side-by-side it's hard to "un-see" it), Size (Both require a purse to carry so why compromise) and Price (It's only $100 difference now). But the one I rarely see people talk about is....

>>>>SOUND<<<<

Jony Ive must work in total silence because he's NEVER designed a product with audio quality being anything more than an afterthought.
- MacBook Air's with no audio openings
- MacBook Pro's with gorgeous movie friendly screens and speakers you cant even hear
- Headphones that tend to be overdesigned yet sound generic
- iPod Touch models with no speakers
- iPhones with gorgeous machine drilled matching speaker holes housing a mono speaker
- iPads with speaker placement chosen for aesthetics rather than audio distribution

But the Air is different and unintentionally actually sounds good. One issue with the Air is that it feels hollow when you tap it but it seems like that empty cavity is (almost) causing bass which makes it sound much richer than the tiny tinny Mini sound. (Jony Ive is a brilliant man but I say the better audio is unintentional because the iPad design is still flawed for video viewing since they still put the two speakers so close together and on the bottom rather than on both sides for proper audio.)

Last edited:

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I have both (I have the Air, my wife has the retina mini). Side by side they look almost the same to me. The only difference I notice is that the white on the mini has a yellowish tint to it compared to the Air. Without holding them side by side, I don't even notice it. The primary user of the mini, my wife, didn't go "OMG get this washed out alien experience out of my face" when she started using it. She loves it. Just like 99% of everyone will. I wouldn't not buy the mini because of the negative hype on the screen from the nitpickers. Unless you are a nitpicker. Then stay away from this total POS that Steve Jobs would have never let hit store shelves. :)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
No only retina mini has this problem. Look at the reviews comparing the 2013 nexus 7 and rMini, its very obvious there.

I have the nexus 7 and the color is washed out on it just like the mini when compared to my Air.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
But the Air is different and unintentionally actually sounds good. One issue with the Air is that it feels hollow when you tap it but it seems like that empty cavity is (almost) causing bass which makes it sound much richer than the tiny tinny Mini sound. (Jony Ive is a brilliant man but I say the better audio is unintentional because the iPad design is still flawed for video viewing since they still put the two speakers so close together and on the bottom rather than on both sides for proper audio.)

Since I use my iPad in portrait 99% of the time, I'm glad they have stuck the speakers in the orientation they did. I actually get a bit of stereo effect which would be totally disoriented if they were aligned vertically on the long axis of the device. When I travel I've also noticed that the vast majority of people using their iPads are doing so in portrait orientation, so I suspect this decision was made very deliberately.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
To be honest, yes, I have been reconsidering the purchase of my rMini. Still haven't got it yet but the Air does have it's strengths that may be worth it.

Time to play the patience card and give the rMini a try when it gets here next week, or if I break down and just pick one up at an Apple store today.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Since I use my iPad in portrait 99% of the time, I'm glad they have stuck the speakers in the orientation they did. I actually get a bit of stereo effect which would be totally disoriented if they were aligned vertically on the long axis of the device. When I travel I've also noticed that the vast majority of people using their iPads are doing so in portrait orientation, so I suspect this decision was made very deliberately.
What exactly are you doing that you need stereo sound for in portrait mode?

I'm not arguing because I use it in portrait most of the time too. But (like the travelers you observe) thats usually when I'm working or reading so we're not actually using the speakers. The time most users do use the speakers is for Movies, Video Editing and immersive Gaming. And thats when proper audio distribution is most needed.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
What exactly are you doing that you need stereo sound for in portrait mode?

I'm not arguing because I use it in portrait most of the time too. But (like the travelers you observe) thats usually when I'm working or reading so we're not actually using the speakers. The time most users do use the speakers is for Movies, Video Editing and immersive Gaming. And thats when proper audio distribution is most needed.

There is plenty of audible content that doesn't require a moving picture to accompany it. :eek:

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Not because of screen issues but because I held both last night and now I'm second guessing getting a Mini and going with an Air. It's a tough choice and will probably come down to the wire.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania

Just to keep this real, Chris Thomas concluded that review by calling the rMini a great tablet, and one that you would want to buy flowers and chocolates for. They also gave it an Editor's Choice award. ;)

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
Is anyone reconsidering getting the Air over the Mini due to screen issues?

I just went into Currys to have a look at an Air and saw no screen issues whatsoever, side by side with the old mini the weight difference is negligible, they also had the iPad 4 and that was considerably heavier(or at least that's how it felt) so after going in to by the Mini Retina I ordered the iPad Air instead.
Just hoping I don't get any of these screen issues.

ikev85

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2012
yea, i remember i was so upset when i got my powerbook 190cs with a 640x480 passive matrix display. it wasn't perfect so i returned it

#perspective

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.