Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I have a 2005 Mac Mini G4 1.25 with 512mb ram, 80GB HDD and a multi-drive.

I have installed 10.4 onto it successfully however am having issues installing 10.5.

The DVD drive will not read my Dual Layer DVD, nor will it boot from USB.

I have spent about 5 hours in OpenFirmware trying to get usb boot but still no joy.

I have started a fresh by doing the following:

- Boot from 10.3 recovery disc (grey disc supplied with unit) and entered Disk Utility.
- Partition HDD into 2 equal Partitions (labled 'OSX 10.4' and 'OSX 10.5')
- Installed 10.3 onto partition 'OSX 10.4'
- Booted into OSX 10.3 and run through full setup blah to get to desktop
- Rebooted with 10.4 upgrade disc (black disc)
- Installed 10.4 onto partition 'OSX 10.4'
- Booted into OSX 10.4 and run through full setup blah to get to desktop

NOW..... like i say i have been pulling my hair out trying to get 10.5 on the unit. I have found a program called 'PACIFIST' which will allow me to install from pkg / mpkg.

I have created a .DMG file of the 10.5 disk and saved it to my desktop.

Can i install the 10.5 OSInstall.mpkg onto the partition 'OSX 10.5' and then boot up using that partition?

Alternatively can i load the disc on my macbook pro connected to the router and update over the network?

I hope this makes sense :)

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Before installing the next OS X major version update via internet Software Update.
Check if your Mac needs a firmware update, and update the firmware.
Another thing you can try if you have another Mac and a FireWire cable is using Target Disk Mode and connect to the HDD via FireWire.

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Unfortunately no firewire available :-( i have firewire 400 on the mini and thunderbolt on macbook pro.

How do i check for firmware updates? Is it in the normal place: apple button top left -> software updates?

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks for the advice but it appears to be 10.4 only :( my MBP is running mavericks.

Any ideas about using pacifist? or other ideas?

If you are comfortable taking the Mac Mini apart you could always take out the HDD and use a external adapter to mount the drive on your MBP and then install 10.5 that way. Might be a good opportunity to replace the HDD with a new one while you are at it. Then you could just install 10.5 on a fresh HDD and install that into the mini.

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks for all the advice. I have found that my MBP HAS got firewire (800) :) so i am buying a fw800 - fw400 cable today and will try to find a guide to install 10.5 onto a g4 1.25 mac mini via firewire from a late 11 macbook pro running mavericks (i will add that this has no optical drive as it has a second HDD).

any links would be helpful :)

Last edited:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
The firmwares I see in the apple support site are for Intel Macs, search there for the G4 Mac Mini.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3479

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA348/en_US/Leopard_Install-Setup.pdf

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks for this, i have a few things to try now. hopefully i can get one of them working!! lol no doubt i will be back eh!? lol

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'd suggest putting the Macbook into Target Disc Mode, put the Leopard DVD into the Macbook, boot the Mini from the Leopard DVD and install Leopard to the Mini's internal hard drive.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
When I had my mini, it was such a pain to get Leopard on it, I feel you! What I ended up having to do was (thank god I had a FW400 cable) and put my DVD into my BlackBook and then Target Disk Mode. My mini couldn't read any disc I put in it, even a custom single-layer Leopard that has worked fine with my other Macs.

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Awesome! Thanks, does it matter what OS is installed?

Can i confirm as i don't have an optical drive on my mbp running OSX10.9 so will use bootable usb stick with leopard on it.

Put bootable drive in macbook pro
Boot it holding down T
Boot mac mini holding C
Choose the bootable image and install

Smile at how simple it was...

Is that right?

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
You might

have a disc that is unreadable because of it's Dual-Layer-ness

Not all dual layered discs play nice in all drives...

Just a thought.

The best way to get something booted, which I do because I am sick of CD/DVD problems, is take the dmg and image it, in disc utility, to a external FW partition or even a flash drive, but you will have to do the boot from USB hacks in open firmware to boot from USB. Unless this mac barely passes the cut off.

Boot from FW Partition with system imaged to it!!

Laters...

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Actually, here's an idea.

If you can boot up any other OS CDs (like Tiger) go into disk utility, partition your HDD into 2 partitions (one like 8GB for Leopard and the other for your OS) and restore the installer if it's on a flash drive to that 8GB split. Then boot from that 8GB split and install it to your bigger portion of the HDD.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Ahhaaa!!!!

The only way you can use your Macbook to boot the Mini G4 is if the Macbook is vintage enough to be able to boot 10.5. (I.e. 2009 or before).

I know this is true, I have booted many G4s from Intel macs that came stock with Leopard 10.5, even the late 2009 Mac Minis that came with snow leopard will boot with Leopard. (I'm absolutely correct on this, don't bother to argue about it).

You will find your Mini needs a ram update as well as a Leopard update. You might as well throw a new faster hard drive in it at the same time and put a new optical drive in it.

I ran the final G4 Mini (silent upgrade to 1.5ghz that had 64vram) maxed out to a 100gb 7200rpm drive and 1 full gig of ram, ran Leopard fine.

You can upgrade it with a dual layer optical drive for about forty bucks. You might as well do that, too. Otherwise, find a Macbook from mid 2009 or earlier and use it in target disk mode with your Leopard disk. No newer macbook/pro will be of any use to you. In fact, ANY mac that was originally released prior to the Snow Leopard release of August 2009 will be useful to what you want to do.

But heed my warning about more ram and hard drive. You have the base 1st gen G4 Mini. I don't even think it came with bluetooth (though you can add that to your unit, too, I think I helped someone back in the day with that project).

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks, just tried firewire boot in target and no joy.

Next i will try mounting the image to a separate partition (10gb) on the internal hdd an use that to boot ant try to instal i that way :-/

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Thanks, just tried firewire boot in target and no joy.

Next i will try mounting the image to a separate partition (10gb) on the internal hdd an use that to boot ant try to instal i that way :-/

Find someone with a 2009 or older mac with a working DL optical drive. They were standard on all Macs after 2005 or 2006.

The image stuff doesn't work well.

If you really are in a jam, I have a 80 gig hard drive out of a Powerbook with Leopard on it that I can sell you cheap. Do the ram upgrade at the same time.

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Sadly no-one i know has one, can you pm me some info on the hdd? I'm getting frustrated now lol!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.