Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agmo123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Hi All

Would appreciate any advice as I am having trouble with my Macbook Pro 15” 2009/2010 model (black keys). A few months back I had the battery changed at a non Apple retailer (who lives in a different city so cant take it back). It then worked fine.

Last month I upgraded my Macbook e.g. Ram to 8GB, Mem to 1tb and the store (a different one to who changed battery) also upgraded to Mountain Lion operating system.

Last night i started to get the “Service Battery” alert in the indicator menu at the top...and the battery has suddenly started draining quick!!

I was wondering this time i cant afford to take it into a store, but can i change it myself as its all built in? I have no IT knowledge.

Where is the best place to buy the battery in the UK? Is this website/guide good?

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Battery+Replacement/3024

many thanks in advance!!

maz-o

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
iFixit guides ar reliable. If you follow the instructions, you're not going to be in trouble.

I have no experience with the replacement batteries they are selling though.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Buy a genuine battery on eBay from a reputable seller and you'll save money. It's also easy to replace the battery. Just take your time and don't forget to wear an anti-static wrist strap or ground yourself first. :)

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
absolutely, not very hard either, pretty simple just need to be careful, look on amazon, eBay, places like that just make sure to buy the one for your exact model and oem :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.