Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Chinese site C Technology [Google Translate, via Unwired View], Apple is continuing to reduce its orders for the iPhone 5c with suppliers, still working to balance production with customer demand that has remained very strongly in favor of the higher-priced iPhone 5s.

The report claims that Apple's main assembly partner ProTek (Pegatron) has slashed production from 320,000 units per day in October to just 80,000 units per day. Similarly, Apple's backup assembler for the iPhone 5c, Foxconn, is operating at only a minimum capacity of 8-9,000 units per day.

Customer interest in Apple's iPhone 5s has continued to outpace that of the iPhone 5c, with Chinese mobile phone retailer D.Phone reporting that that the iPhone 5s is holding a 3.68:1 advantage over the iPhone 5c among its customers, according to MyDrivers [Google Translate].

fiksu_iphone_nov15.jpg
Similar signs of continued iPhone 5s strength are showing up in data from analytics firm Fiksu, which shows iPhone 5s activity outpacing iPhone 5c activity by a 3-to-1 margin. As of today, Fiksu is seeing the iPhone 5s accounting for 6.4% of active iPhone devices on its network, with the iPhone 5c accounting for just 2.1%. That gap has grown over the past month, with the iPhone 5s previously outperforming the iPhone 5c by a roughly 2-to-1 margin.

Reports of Apple cutting iPhone 5c production are not new, but if the numbers in this latest report are correct, the cuts are even deeper than previously reported.

While iPhone 5c supplies have been plentiful since the device's September launch, the iPhone 5s has been much more constrained and is only now beginning to see improved supplies. Earlier this week, shipping estimates for new orders through Apple's online store improved to 1-2 weeks, while the various models are showing significantly improved availability in Apple's retail stores.

Article Link: Apple Further Trims iPhone 5c Production as Customers Continue to Prefer iPhone 5s

kevinbal

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Storrs, CT
Eh, I think this isn't necessarily by design, but not a problem for Apple. They gave the "analysts" and "pundits" what they wanted -- a low cost iPhone -- and the consumers aren't buying it. Now Tim and Co. can turn around and say, "See? It didn't work. Now let us get back to doing what we do best -- hyper focusing on a single product."

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I've said it from the beginning making the iPhone 5C was a failure from a start

Lipstick on a pig is still a pig

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Apple's Executive Boardroom meeting:

"I just don't get it. People want the phone from last year with a few slight improvements way more than they want the phone from last year with a colourful plastic backplate... why is that?!"

Disclaimer: I LOVE the build of the 5C, but it's simply the wrong price for what it is.

Macbmw

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
Price is not the issue.

This prove it that people are willing to pay for products and the price is not an issue.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
More proof that the iPhone 5c is a failure. Apple have lost their way.

Great product. Wrong price point.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I was already curious as to what would happen to the 5c in 2014. (No change? The 5s with a plastic back?) And now I'm even more curious.

I don't think they'll ditch it but it will probably be a pretty hefty re-design. (Hey, both the iPad and original iPhone changed a lot after the first year.)

In my opinion they should go further. Make it even MORE different than the main iPhone. If the iPhone 6 really does get a bigger screen or curved glass or something then this will be made even easier.

I suggest taking the original iPod Mini as inspiration. I find the colored back and plain black front to be kind of odd on the 5c. A more wrap-around design would be even more childish looking, but I think that's what this product needs. The iPhone 6 will exist for those who don't like it.

Logic368

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I mean, iphone plans are already around $90 per month; why would anyone feel like saving a hundred dollars for a crappier phone is worth it?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Apple didn't produce a markedly "cheaper" iPhone, perhaps just a "cheaper looking" one. For the thrifty, there's still the 4s. Perhaps there will soon be a saturation point for the iPhone. It seems like most of the 5s buyers are upgrading from an earlier iPhone, not buying their first model.

Personally, I still like the look and feel of the 5c. I just wish it was offered in higher capacities.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
Eh, I think this isn't necessarily by design, but not a problem for Apple. They gave the "analysts" and "pundits" what they wanted -- a low cost iPhone -- and the consumers aren't buying it. Now Tim and Co. can turn around and say, "See? It didn't work. Now let us get back to doing what we do best -- hyper focusing on a single product."

on what planet is the 5C considered a 'low cost phone?'

Gottis

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011

This is not how things work, sorry.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I mean, iphone plans are already around $90 per month; why would anyone feel like saving a hundred dollars for a crappier phone is worth it?

Well, the thing is that people HAVE been doing that. The 4S was a big seller after the 5 came out. The 4 still sold after the 4S came out. etc.

Apple has done well with the "$100 less for slightly lesser phone" plan for years now.

Since the only difference between last year and this year is the year-old-phone's design, I have to conclude that the design is the problem.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Well, what did people expect?

Apple markets itself as being the best of the best, so why would their loyal customer base want anything less? This product was conceptually flawed from the beginning. I suspect it will be dropped entirely within 2 product cycles at most.

If people want lesser cost/performance, they'll simply buy the previous generation iPhone (which, I suspect, is still viewed as superior to the 5c.)

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
More rumors from obscure Chinese/Asian websites. Yea! Happy Friday everyone!

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Just bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 that had been used once. Perfect condition.

The equivalent iPhone 5C is £225 more expensive than what I paid.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
More proof that the iPhone 5c is a failure. Apple have lost their way.

Great product. Wrong price point.

I agree that price point is the issue. At $299 off contract I would have bought one, maybe two. The current price is laughable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.