Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munir09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
After several mistakes done when I was trying to install Linux in a Mac Book Pro , it now doesnt have OSX and linux aren't bootable . I want to start all over now and put ubuntu . But as I said , I havent OSX anymore in the machine and I don't have any OSX disc so I can't install any mac based boot loader . Where I start ? please share tutorial links if possible.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Did the system originally come with OS X Lion or greater? If so, you can use Internet Recovery to reinstall the OS.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Where I start ? please share tutorial links if possible.
Different Mac models may require different methods to install OS X, and you need to provide enough info on your Mac model before anyone could help you. As the previous post implies, if you have a recent model with Internet Recovery built in, it's much easier than older models to reinstall OS X.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
As a general rule if the machine is newer than 2011 then it will have internet recovery built in so you can recover by pressing Command + R at startup.

If the machine is older than 2010 then it will need an OSX install disk, either the original grey machine specific disk or a newer retail version (retail versions released prior to the machine won't work).

There is also a period around 2010-2011 where old Macs were given firmware updates to allow them to perform recovery the same as the newer models, however you need to have purchased Lion on your Mac App Store account for it to work on these machines.

munir09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Did the system originally come with OS X Lion or greater? If so, you can use Internet Recovery to reinstall the OS.

It the macbook pro of 17 inch . i7 , geforce 650 or something like that... It came with Lion . 2011-2012 standard macbook pro I think . I remember that it came with OS X 10.7? and code to upgrade to lion ( 10.8 I think )

munir09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
As above, Command + R should start the internet recovery service.

I entered internet recovery and now I am in the part that I have to "Select the disk where you want to install Mac OS X " . But he doesnt show my disc . the list is empty . My disc is formated fat . I have to change this but I aint finding the option to this in disk utility

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
So you can go in to Disk Utility?
You should be able to format the disk as Mac OS Extended (journaled).

Edit - it may be detecting the mbr. The disk needs to be formatted in GUID partition Table.

munir09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
So you can go in to Disk Utility?
You should be able to format the disk as Mac OS Extended (journaled).

Edit - it may be detecting the mbr. The disk needs to be formatted in GUID partition Table.

I first tried to remove partition but after 20 min it is still "preparing to remove partition" . there is no option to cancel . Should I reboot ?

EDIT : I canceled and formated . Installing now . THanks !

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
No, I wouldn't think that would be a good idea. Let it finish what it's doing, if possible.
I would have thought you should be formatting the drive itself, not a partition.

munir09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
No, I wouldn't think that would be a good idea. Let it finish what it's doing, if possible.
I would have thought you should be formatting the drive itself, not a partition.

Actually it worked . Now I have a 10GB partition for recovery and the rest ( almost 740GB ) for OSX ... until now! I havent gived up installing linux ( lubuntu is my personal favorite distro ) . This time I will install EFind first . All this is problem was actually help.ubuntu fault ! the tutorial there didnt mentioned EFInd nor another EFI bootloader at all !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.