Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JinsterBeady

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Heya guys,
This may be a stupid question but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. Ha.

I'm editing a feature of which footage has come from both a Red camera and DSLR.
Due to not needing to convert the Red footage I am able to use both in their raw state.
However, I notice due to the dimensions that the red footage has mini bars at the top and bottom of the footage where as the DSLR does not.

Is there a way around this without converting all of the footage? I understand they are different formats etc so there's a high chance there's not another solution however I am crossing my fingers!

Project properties are 1920x1080 - 23.98p

Not sure what other info you'd need to help but happy to find it all out!

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Heya guys,
This may be a stupid question but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. Ha.

I'm editing a feature of which footage has come from both a Red camera and DSLR.
Due to not needing to convert the Red footage I am able to use both in their raw state.
However, I notice due to the dimensions that the red footage has mini bars at the top and bottom of the footage where as the DSLR does not.

Is there a way around this without converting all of the footage? I understand they are different formats etc so there's a high chance there's not another solution however I am crossing my fingers!

Project properties are 1920x1080 - 23.98p

Not sure what other info you'd need to help but happy to find it all out!

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Most RED footage is going to be at an Aspect ratio of 2.00:1 (more commonly known as 2:1), or 1.89:1 while DSLR footage is usually 1.78:1 (16:9). So you will have to crop the RED footage which shouldn't be a problem if your delivering 1080p as RED has allot of resolution to spare. Only issue might be if the cinematographer frame the RED footage so that cropping would cut out critical content but I imagine if your shooting on RED you know how to properly frame for 16:9 safe. I use 1.89:1 footage in 16:9 projects all the time and its no big resolution loss, but again just make sure you or whoever is operating the camera is shooting so that you can crop without issues.

JinsterBeady

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Most RED footage is going to be at an Aspect ratio of 2.00:1 (more commonly known as 2:1), or 1.89:1 while DSLR footage is usually 1.78:1 (16:9). So you will have to crop the RED footage which shouldn't be a problem if your delivering 1080p as RED has allot of resolution to spare. Only issue might be if the cinematographer frame the RED footage so that cropping would cut out critical content but I imagine if your shooting on RED you know how to properly frame for 16:9 safe. I use 1.89:1 footage in 16:9 projects all the time and its no big resolution loss, but again just make sure you or whoever is operating the camera is shooting so that you can crop without issues.

Brilliant. Thanks for the advice! It seems though that it would be the other way around though, no? Aka I have bars on the Red but not the DSLR. So I would be cropping the DSLR footage to match the Red? (Not sure if that's right?!)

Whatever the case may be in that situation, any suggestions on batch cropping? :D

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
Brilliant. Thanks for the advice! It seems though that it would be the other way around though, no? Aka I have bars on the Red but not the DSLR. So I would be cropping the DSLR footage to match the Red? (Not sure if that's right?!)

Whatever the case may be in that situation, any suggestions on batch cropping? :D

What aspect ratio (resolution) are you delivering in? Just edit in that aspect ratio and scale the clips up as needed. Edit in a 1080p timeline if you're shooting for a 1080p deliverable and scale the Red footage to fit (least degradation in image quality overall this way, too); if you're editing in a 2k timeline for a specified 2k deliverable scale the dSLR footage to fit 2k.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

Batch cropping? Well in most NLE's its pretty easy to crop, its probably in the tools. Are you in Premiere, Avid, or FCP? I can only speak for Premiere, Avid and FCP X but regardless it shouldn't be too difficult to find. As for cropping the RED to match the DSLR or cropping the DSLR to match the RED that depends on what the aspect ratio is you need to deliver...can't help if we don't know..if you are deliverying 16:9 footage then you just need to crop the RED footage...find out..these are important details, minor but important, if the director/client left you notes look through them, if not contact them, if they are not sure then 16:9 is a safe bet as thats what most HDTV's are along with allot of displays...

What aspect ratio (resolution) are you delivering in? Just edit in that aspect ratio and scale the clips up as needed. Edit in a 1080p timeline if you're shooting for a 1080p deliverable and scale the Red footage to fit (least degradation in image quality overall this way, too); if you're editing in a 2k timeline for a specified 2k deliverable scale the dSLR footage to fit 2k.
Yeah thats a good point...I automatically assumed he was delivering 16:9 and/or 1080p but if he delivering 1.89:1 2K (2048x1080) then he needs to crop the DSLR footage...if aspect ratio is not important, specified or if its just for web 16:9 would make more sense since the RED footage has allot more room to crop then the already compressed and lower resolution DSLR footage.

JinsterBeady

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Batch cropping? Well in most NLE's its pretty easy to crop, its probably in the tools. Are you in Premiere, Avid, or FCP? I can only speak for Premiere, Avid and FCP X but regardless it shouldn't be too difficult to find. As for cropping the RED to match the DSLR or cropping the DSLR to match the RED that depends on what the aspect ratio is you need to deliver...can't help if we don't know..if you are deliverying 16:9 footage then you just need to crop the RED footage...find out..these are important details, minor but important, if the director/client left you notes look through them, if not contact them, if they are not sure then 16:9 is a safe bet as thats what most HDTV's are along with allot of displays...

Yeah thats a good point...I automatically assumed he was delivering 16:9 and/or 1080p but if he delivering 1.89:1 2K (2048x1080) then he needs to crop the DSLR footage...if aspect ratio is not important, specified or if its just for web 16:9 would make more sense since the RED footage has allot more room to crop then the already compressed and lower resolution DSLR footage.

Ah yes of course. Great. Am delivering in 16:9 so will do it that way.
Also, editing in FCPX, just if there's anything in the future.

Thanks so much guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.