Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverhuang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, it's great to be here :) I'm interested in finding out how people keep up-to-date with technological news and changes.

Which magazines do you subscribe to and trust to provide up-to-date, relevant and accurate information on: Apple iOS and OSX... and for Microsoft? My interest is more towards desktop and mobile OS, software and apps. Doesn't have to be the same magazine for both, can be different magazines.

Or if you're not magazine inclined, which blogs, web sites or forums do you trust and follow/frequent?

I ask because I was looking through the magazine stands, offline and online, and literally got swamped :eek:

Thanks.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
MacRumors. Can find out just about anything on here. Only magazine I read is Macworld. Both are very informative.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
I subscribe to MacTech and MacWorld, typically they are just for plane rides though. My daily routine involves checking MacRumors, CultOfMac, 9to5Mac, TidBits, MacTech and TheVerge.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Since Magazines are outdated by a few months I wouldn't trust any of them to keep me updated. I use Macrumors and Tomshardware to keep up to date. Macrumors for Apple stuff and Tomshardware for a wider gamut and in depth articles (sometimes way too in depth for the casual reader).

Some other sites that are popular are Anandtech and Engadget. Though I don't care for them as much as Tom's and they are redundant.

silverhuang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the varied responses. Jbenn425, velocityg4 and ucfgrad93 make a very valid point, one that I hadn't considered and find that I agree with.

As I'm new to MacRumors, I will spend more time plumbing the posts here as well.

So, changing the focus to online sources, which of the following would you pick as your top three:

• Gizmodo
  • The Verge
  • HuffPost Tech
  • TechCrunch
  • Mashable
  • Gigaom
  • Wired

Or if you disagree with these and follow others, I would love to know.

Just to reiterate, my interests are predominantly in apps and software for desktop, mobile and web, (productivity and creativity for personal and business use), Apple first, Microsoft a distant second.

Thanks everyone.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
So, changing the focus to online sources, which of the following would you pick as your top three:

• Gizmodo
  • The Verge
  • HuffPost Tech
  • TechCrunch
  • Mashable
  • Gigaom
  • Wired

Or if you disagree with these and follow others, I would love to know.

I visit the following sites on a regular basis to keep informed of tech news:

• The Verge
  • Android Central
  • Mobile Read
  • MacRumors
  • BGR
  • The Digital Reader

Sandman824

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2006
Wisconsin
I visit the following sites on a regular basis to keep informed of tech news:

• The Verge
  • Android Central
  • Mobile Read
  • MacRumors
  • BGR
  • The Digital Reader

Don't forget
ArsTechnica.com
MacIntouch.com for mac news
DealMac.com not so much for news as great deals from time to time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.