Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
I bought this case from: http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Slimline-Display-Manufacturer-Warranty/dp/B00FNX0GOE/ for 4.95 USD + Shipping

O1skUfP.jpg

I acquired my iPad mini with Retina earlier today by ordering online and picking up from my local Apple Store. Upon coming home, I found my pre-ordered case from Poetic has arrived as well. Perfect timing!

iPad Mini with Retina feels nearly identical to the previous Mini. You have both a top mic and rear mic, which is something to look for when choosing cases for the iPad mini w/ Retina in specific. I’m loving the sharp bezel and the aluminum back; quality as usual from Apple. This tablet is one attractive device. And now to protect this thing of beauty.

1qwc2Ce.jpg

The cover on this Slimline case has a grainy texture and is made from synthetic leather-like material. No weird smells on mine. The auto wake cover works like a charm, very responsive and quick. The cover apes the Apple Smart Cover’s tri-fold design, and the magnet is strong enough for the cover to stick into a tight triangular stand. It works just fine on its typing angle as well as landscape mode. The cover stand holds steady and does not collapse easily. Those who had iPad Mini Slimline case for their 1st Gen iPad Mini, such as myself, should consider this Slimline case again for the Retina version.

XF8ttYB.jpg

SVRJm2o.jpg

mDogNx1.jpg

This case is very slim, so those who prefer more protective feel, this Slimline case might not be your choice.

Overall, I am happy with my 9 USD purchase from Amazon.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Thanks for the overview on that.

Just got my mini retina today. I am re-using my Smart Cover for the front, but the Rocketfish hard shell I had for the back of my old mini won't fit on the retina. So I'm shopping around for cases.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Thanks for the review. Looking at this same case myself. Does the cover flap fold flat against the back, say if you were holding it open as a reader in portrait mode?

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Just received my case today. I like it. Shipping was 4 days, Ordered on Thursday, and it arrived today, Monday.
Now I just have to wait for Target to get the rMinis in stock. I traded in my iPad 1st gen for a $200 gift card. So am using that for my purchase.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Just took delivery of my black one here. Really nice folio case for the mini.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    953.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    891.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

ppfd

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
West Virginia USA
For the money, this case is going to be hard to beat.

Picked up 2 for less than $20.00.

Fit and finish is perfect. Magnets are strong, and the same magnets hold the lid back when in landscape mode.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Yes it fits really good and the leather like material feels nice as well. There' s a lot reviews on Amazon about the plastic cracking, hopefully that's not the case.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Interesting that the speakers are exposed on this case but covered on the Poetic Air case.
You'd think it would just be the exact same design but scaled down.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Anyone able to quickly check the weight of this case by itself and the overall thickness when on the rMini?

CJisohsocool

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
I got a question about these cases, is it weird holding it in your hands with the front open and on the back?

mrdoeboix12

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
I personally don't like having the front cover folded on the back which is why I like having just a rear shell and a Smart Cover.

Whats the difference between a case like this and a rear shell + smart cover? Don't they open the same way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.